Author Topic: Best Compass  (Read 18428 times)

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best Compass
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 02:53:43 PM »
Dumped my Silva just before Christmas at first cold snap, simply fed up with bubbles. My guess is poor materials and manufacturing.

Bought the Recta Alan had found, so far - Great :D

Brian

• View Profile
    • Animal Crackers
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
Yeah, I dumped my Silva, too. 

It gave long and useful service — perhaps 20 years or so — but it, too, developed a very large bubble on a search last fall.  I tried to live with it, but I, too, just got fed up with it. 

I've now got a Suunto M3 and a Brunton 15TDCL.

Though they're quite different from one another, I like them both.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Decided to contact Silva UK and speak to them about this issue.

I received a standard answer, that this problem did not affect the compasses perfomance, and when I explained that the bubble was so large it did, they repeated their statement. Poor product, poor customer service >:(

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
Callum, it is only seven months since we bought our Silva and the bubble is already annoying >:(

Somebody posted about determining the age of a compass that I now cannot find, can anyone point me to it please, as we intend taking this one back to Tiso.

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »
The year markings on Silva's are on the back of the housing near the needle mount.
V=2008  W=2009 and so on.
Everyday's a school day...

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
Using the Suunto M3G as the basic platform for all baseplate compassess, I humbly suggest the follow changes/improvements:
1. ALL lines, lettering and numbers on the baseplate and inside the capsul in black,
2. Only global magnetic arrow.luminious
3. Extend the baseplate one inch longer.
4. Move the magnifying glass and replace it with a flipup aiming device with the direction of travel line passing through it. Nothing like the flipup mirror, just something very simple, rugged and assists in aim along the direction of travel line. This would also assist in taking bearings.
5. Four rubber feet as on the Silva compasses.
6. The magnetic arrow should be red on the end where we put "Red in the Shed" and white on the other end .
7. The direction of travel arrow should be luminious all the way from the dial, through the aiming divice to the end of the baseplate.
8. Allow a little more room at the rear of the compass with a luminious reciprocal (back bearing) mark
"What  is, is best"

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »
I had the compass once send back via the retail store to the manufacturer, they fixed it (3 years outside warrenty)

Callum, it is only seven months since we bought our Silva and the bubble is already annoying >:(

Somebody posted about determining the age of a compass that I now cannot find, can anyone point me to it please, as we intend taking this one back to Tiso.
Ivo

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:17 AM »
Barry, no magnifying glass then?
Ivo

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
Barry, no magnifying glass then?
[/quote

Yes, just move it to one side or a corner.
"What  is, is best"

krenaud

• View Profile
My 2p
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 03:42:57 AM »
K&R have some interesting features. The Alpin mirror compass for instance has a slope angle table printed on it. The lid is a perfect place to print other such info.

I haven't tried it myself, but it also looks like it is very easy to see when the needle is aligned with the bezel.

Another feature on the perfect compass might be to mold the lid or base with a whistle chamber like Light My Fire have done in the handle of their fire steels.

As big magnifying lens as possible is good so it can be used for starting fires.

Tritium is also a must.

The lanyard should have cm markings.

If it is a mirror compass, the mirror should be optimised with aiming mechanism for using as a signalling mirror.

Would it be useful to have an indicator which senses if there is more than normal
vertical magnetic pull? It should be possible to invent such a thing.