Author Topic: Deer Stalking on the New Forest  (Read 6386 times)

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Deer Stalking on the New Forest
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »
Last week I had a week off and decided to spend a couple of days on the New Forest.

I was hoping I would catch the end of the deer rut but sadly it was a very short rut this year so I missed it. At first I went to find the red deer but I could not find them so decided to go and find a herd of Fallow deer that I know quite well. I found them within 100 meters of a road and more conveniently from a car park.

The day was quite cold and I knew I was going to be sitting around for quite a time so I wrapped up warm grabbed the camera and started what turned out to be a 6 hour stalk as the deer moved around the forest. I took around 150 images I have included some of the best below.

I had a great day which even allowed me to a lovely pub lunch which the deer lead me too and they were kind enough to wait for me whilst I ate.   It was a cold damp long day and I was shattered from stalking through the under growth of the woods across heath and over boggy ground.

The big problem was walking back to the car. I was already chin strapped and had a long walk back up some small but steep hills and with my back it was a very painful long walk, which ended taking about 4 hours. By the time I got back to the car I could not sit down because my back had completely seized up so I lay down in the damp grass and watch the stars until I drifted off to sleep, to wake up a couple of hours later able to move a little better to drive.

I had a wonderful day despite the pain and am happy with some of the images I took.

Can some please confirm you can see the images please

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Deer Stalking on the New Forest
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »
Brilliant images Adi and sounds like a brilliant trip Mate.

Your photos are professional quality!
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
Thanks Lyle  ;D
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Oh, fantastic photography Adi ;) Not an area I know, but from your photos, looks like its really worth the effort to visit.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
Callum the New Forest is lovely, it is made up with ancient forest, heath land and forestry plantations. It gets very busy during the summer but most people don't move too far away from their cars and when they do they stay in the paths.

The best thing about it is the fact it is relatively flat which for me is an added bonus because the health, hills really do make me suffer at the moment. I have got to know the forest quite well over the last 6 years or so. 

And thank you

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
Adi, seems you told the deers to look at you and stand still and actually pose, magically :-)
Ivo

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »
Hi Adi,

An area I too love.  Great piccys.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
When I stalk I always talk to the deer they get used to you being there so are less likely to fright. They can't see you but if they can hear you and hear your not e threat they stay a lot calmer.

The secret is I stalked so close I nailed their hooves to the ground  ;) lol

And thank you

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Thanks Lost

It is not quite the same as my beloved Exmoor but is still love the New Forest. No bloody hills  ;)

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
> When I stalk I always talk to the deer they get used to you being there so are less likely to fright.

That's what I do when going into a field with cattle in; just quietly and calmly talk to them "hello ladies" or something.  So they know I'm coming, and the quiet voice seems to say I'm not a threat, and I don't suddenly spook them.

I was staying at my parents on Purbeck one night, and heard a noise outside at about 3am.  I looked out of the window to see a herd of cattle wandering around the garden.  I went out and spoke quietly to them, and herded them back up to the road to the field they'd escaped from.  And closed the gate...

I've spent more time on a mountain bike in the New Forest, but recently went on a couple of guided walks around the old airfields (the Ashley bombing test range, and the Holmsley airfield).  Since then I've been playing 'spot the airfield' on OS mapping (213 found so far in South & East).  The designs are so standardised that the outlines stand out from the map, even when there's almost nothing left of them.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »
Spotting animals in the wild is one of the things that always "make my day". But i've never been able to take such nice pics at such close range. Beautiful!

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
I grow up on a farm full of cows CP. I was only allowed near the cows as a toddler if I announce my presence by talking to the cows. 

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Just let me know when you are up for it Adi and it will be a pleasure to welcome you to the Centre :)