Author Topic: "The" Book  (Read 5325 times)

Barry G

• View Profile
"The" Book
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
Ok guys, "The" book arrived today! I probably won't eat or sleep for several days or even check the Forum.

Later,

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "The" Book
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:41:33 PM »
Don't try and absorb it all at once Barry otherwise you'll have serious navigestion  :)
Everyday's a school day...

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
Hey Egg, how will I know if I have it, will I break out with a rash or the trots?

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
Hey Barry...
Definitely a rash that on closer inspection looks like a map and in really serious cases there will be compass needles in the eyes  8)
Everyday's a school day...

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:52:22 AM »
Egg, the map I think I could handle, especially if I could choose which map. But needles in the eye I think is too tough to handle. How about I limit myself to 10 pages a hour or is looking at pictures actually reading?
"What  is, is best"

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
While reading "The Book" last night and admiring the outstanding pictures, it dawned on me that onone in the pictures was wearing a hat or protection from the sun. The reason this is of interest to me is I've had Basal Cell Carcinoma (skin cancer) on my head, face and shoulders over the years. Based on strong advice from my skin doctors and plastic surgeons, I never go out of doors without a hat. I'm of Irish desent, fair skin and blue eye, which makes me a prime candidate for skin cancer, but everyone should protect themselves from the distructive rays of the sun on our skin. I have not seen or read about wearing hats in this forum or in fact anywhere in any magazines about hiking land navigation. Do you guys and girls wear hats when hiking or is it not a major concern?
"What  is, is best"

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
I only learned a couple of weeks ago Barry that Scotland has less daily sunshine per annum than Sweden! Plus, we Brits have a tradition of whenever the sun deems to shine we immediately go out and get red in it ;)

You are perfectly correct though, we all should take care in the sun, and malignant melanoma can be a killer, even in the UK.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
Lyle, here in Albany (upstate New York, not New York City) we get more than our fair share of sun for actually 2/3 rds. of the year. We are in a area, believe it or not, of high incidents of skin cancer due to exposure to the sun. Lyle, I think the best advice is too much of anything might have a negitive impact. The book is a joy to read and little mentioned is how well the book is constructed/bound and the paper is of the highest quality. Well done!

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
Barry

I almost never wear a hat in England during the temperate months of the year except when its raining which is, of course, most of the time. I  have a thick mop of hair on my head but very little anywhere else.

Hugh

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
Hugh, take a close look at my picture and you'll understand why I need to wear a hat! Just one of the many problems with being older than dirt.

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
Barry, I don't want to outrank you but I'm several years older than you! I was born in 1932.

Hugh (a geriatric dwarf)

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 03:40:07 PM »
Hugh, ain't it great getting up every day and defying the odd! Hugh I knew I liked you for something other the a great name and good looks. My Dad had a saying that "Wisdom is the byproduct of longevity", but I'm still waiting!

Health and Happiness,

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
Wearing a hat etc.  Because of the dangers of skin cancer the Australian's not so long ago had a well-publicised public health mantra.  "Slip, Slap, Slop".

Slip on a Tee Shirt,
Slap on a Hat
Slop on your Sun Tan Lotion.

Going back to hats.  Not only will wearing one prevent skin cancer of one’s head it will also prevent the more immediate impairment of heat stroke if the brim is wide enough.  Or, it has one of those Foreign Legion type drapes covering the back of the neck.  It seem excess heat on the back of the neck contributes to heat stroke.

And finally I note these days that quite a lot of outdoor and expedition clothing comes with some sort of rating indicating how much protection it gives from UV light.  UV of course being the cause of skin cancer.