Author Topic: White-out navigation  (Read 3973 times)

cairngormwanderer

• View Profile
    • Cairngormwanderer
White-out navigation
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
Was heading for the top of Ben McDui on Saturday in thick weather and away from the main highway of footprints. With uphill in various directions, only one of them right, I was walking on a bearing, usually picking on rocks/snow shadows about 20 to 50 metres ahead, which was the limit of visibility for snow shadows and black rocks poking through white snow respectively. A few legs offered nothing visible on the line of the bearing, but I realised that if you take two other visible points either side of the correct line, you can keep your line pretty well until you pick up something on route.
Worth keeping in mind.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: White-out navigation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
Another valuable way to stay on a bearing during whiteout conditions when you have no landmarks to use is to do a back bearing on your own footprints. Do this well within your limit of viability meaning often sometimes as often as once every 10 meters and you will stay on your bearing. This is a trick we used when navigating whilst on skis. Its works and to coin a phrase of Lyle's; worth knowing.     
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
Cairngormwanderer I have not used this method before,  I guess that they are a type of Radial Arm, did you simply make a mental note of their reference to you are mark them on your map?

Also were you coming up from the Deeside, albeit a longer route but it avoids the skiers, which always seems paradoxical to me as Macdui is situated in the centre of a vast wilderness. Heavy has some great stories of epi rescues across the top and over the valley to Braeriach - a stunning part of the world.

Yes Adi, for all of the challenges navigating in snow poses, the ability to check your backbearing is frequently overlooked.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

cairngormwanderer

• View Profile
    • Cairngormwanderer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
Hi Lyle, I was walking very short legs between getting new targets and using a 1:50,000 map, so I just kept a mental note. I was coming up a gully out of the Loch Avon Basin (Pinnacle Gully beside the Shelter Stone Crag) so I knew my starting point and was able to take one single bearing on the summit, with no obstacles on the way and, given the lack of fresh snowfall and wind for several days, felt able to use the usual footprint highway from Cairngorm as a handrail to aim off at. Given the terrain and the weather, I don't suppose the task was too serious, but having walked through a lot worse, it's a tactic I'd feel happy about using when it does get serious.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:44:11 PM by cairngormwanderer »

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »
Great tip Cairngormwanderer :)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
Cairngormwander, had chance to try this method out yesterday as southern Scotland turned Arctic and I ventured for my weekly constitutional up the hill behind my house, it works really well and was very straight forward to employ and is now another tool in my navigational rucksack, thanks for sharing it with us :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato