Author Topic: Best Basic Sat Nav  (Read 5480 times)

Barry G

• View Profile
Best Basic Sat Nav
« on: November 26, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »
Ok guys stright up, what's the best hand held Sat Nav for around $100.00 (US)?
Barry
"What  is, is best"

John-C

• View Profile
Re: Best Basic Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
Garmin E-Trex H certainly seems to have the vote for that title on here! And since Lyle wrote an article in Trail Magazine, the price on e-bay has gone up quite a bit.

They retail at over £100, but now tend to go for between £30 & £40, so just fit into that price range.  You do need to make sure its the correct one though, It should have "High Sensitivity" written on it just above the screen - many on sale do not, or show stock pictures.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
Barry, I am pretty sure you will not have Trail in the USA, this is the magazine in which the article John C is referring to. If you PM (Private Message) me your email address I will scan my copy and email it to you. Cal

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
Lyle's videos on a basic GPS are also useful, and discuss the Etrex/buying secondhand.

http://micronavigation.com/learning-centre/the-difficult-stuff/

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
Hi Barry,

If you consider buying a new satnav, I would suggest that you also have a look at:
- eTrex 10 (basic, without mapping), around 100 euri
- eTrex 20 (with mapping), around 160 euri

First impressions on these can be found in another thread on this forum.
The prices in the US are often +/- the same figure, but in US dollar instead of euri.

Success,
Chris.

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Barry we bought a second-hand Etrex H and it proved so valuable, we bought another as a back up :)

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
Thanks guys for the help, especially Callum. I really like the ones that have map downloading capability, but I'm probably not going to test 100 year old legs for hikes that would require maps, I'm thinking more like hikes along the back country roads where my wife Margie can drive along in the car (lol). The reason for the sat nav is OUR MEMORY and getting lost. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:30 PM »

"The Book" arrived last week and my etrex h arrived from ebay today and I've already hiked on four Continents and back to my home waypoint using trackback. You guys make way tooooooooo much about this hiking!
"What  is, is best"

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
Barry, I was sure you would enjoy the etrex, did the notes I sent through to you help?

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »
Yes Cal, and it was that article that convinced me to get the etrex h. I responded with a email, did you get it?
"What  is, is best"

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
Barry, we, that is my wife Emma and me, both bought second hand etrex Hs. They are simple to use, really accurate and great value.

If I may give you two pieces of advice, from our learning experience: buy pre-charged rechargeable batteries, in the long-term they will save you lots of dollars and secondly, get used to uploading and downloading waypoint and tracks onto Google Earth. It was this last part that really locked us in to this technology. Not only do we have a record of where we have been and when, but we can also share these paths and viewpoints with fellow outdoor enthusiasts.

If you would like to see where we have been PM me you email and I will send some over, along with some geo-referenced photos.