Author Topic: Walkers Rules  (Read 3000 times)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Walkers Rules
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
Something culled from the OS Website http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2014/07/the-walkers-rules

A mixture of the practical, tongue-in-cheek and the amusing.  Nevertheless, stuff on navigation appears to be spot on irrespective of how it is presented.

Pete McK

• View Profile
Re: Walkers Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
These symbols are also handy to know for walkers in England, where access is still restricted in many areas.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Luckily, in Scotland we don’t suffer with the restrictions perpetuated by selfish land owners. Here everyone has the right to be on most land and inland waters in Scotland for recreation, education and for going from place to place. Some areas are sensibly excluded, Crown Property, school grounds, residential gardens – limited to a specific size - and visitor attractions which charge an entry fee.

Scottish Natural Heritage worked hard on getting the act enabled and have produced an Outdoor Access Code to help walkers and others outdoors users enjoy these access rights responsibly.

It works very well in Scotland and I have met nobody who has abused it or had problems with it.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
And it could get worse in England :( see this BBC feature www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26333968#sthash.dJOj4yNv.dpuf
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Angle of Repose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
Luckily, in Scotland we don’t suffer with the restrictions perpetuated by selfish land owners. Here everyone...<SNIP>

That's interesting they have retained such freedom even on private land. I lived in Texas growing up, and it was very clear, if you ended up on someone's property (especially out in the country), you should expect to hear gunshots your way. Still retaining the wild west mentality I guess.
Now that I live in Maine, I have had to readapt to the Mainer's (Mainiac's as they can themselves) to the concept of walking/hunting on any land you see fit. Of course, if it is posted, you should stay out. However, in my experience with outdoors people I know, they view it all as open free range to wander. Different mentality for different parts of the country I guess.
I fall on the line, if it is private property, stay out unless invited.
"You can't get there from here"