Author Topic: Greetings from Tyneside  (Read 3920 times)

Silkylemon

• View Profile
Greetings from Tyneside
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »
Just a few words to say hello and to introduce myself. My name is Simon and I live in a small village just south of Newcastle (UK). I have only basic navigational (map and compass) skills and limited experience, originally gained as a lad in the Scouts (knowledge which had long since gone rusty!), and refreshed earlier this year by completing a “Map Reading and Country Walking” course, held over a series of evening classes. With a rekindled enthusiasm, and a wife who thinks I’ve become a terrible bore, I’d like to learn more so recently bought a copy of Lyle’s book and was subsequently directed to this forum. Having never joined an online forum I was a little apprehensive, but after spending the last few weeks dipping in and out of the valuable content posted by members, I thought I’d take the plunge. Great forum, great website, great book.

Hope I find you all well.

Simon

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Tyneside
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.
You'll find this to be one of the friendliest forums anywhere on the web.
So whatever you want to post about or ask questions on, you can be sure of helpful replies. 
As you've already discovered there's a wealth of experience at all levels here, so feel free to join in and share you experiences with us.
Enjoy...
Bob
Everyday's a school day...

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
Hello Simon, I'm new to the forum as well (joined two days ago) and your story is much like mine. I too learned how to us a compass many, many years ago, 61 to be exact, and I've rekindled that interest and join this forum due to seeing Lyle's web site and ordering his book. And they say "you cant' teach old dogs new tricks". Simon, I find it funny that two older folks like us are learning a skill thousands of years old and the young people here are learning the 21st century tech stuff like "satnav" stuff and the global kits. It's a great world and life, ain't it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry (from Albany, New York)
"What  is, is best"

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
Welcome Simon.

Barry, there is a huge problem with young people and not so young people learning about Sat Navs, particularly the variety that come with Smart Phones.  Low battery life particularly with the GPS running and poor durability.  The battery goes flat afetr about 2 hours / gadget breaks and then they are lost.  They then become another increasingly common all to familier problem for search and resue services.  The app for the phone might be great but the hardware on which it runs is significantly substandard in terms of intrinsic longevity and reliability.

No, the answer is good skills with map and compass first, second and all the way to last.  When you have them mastered then investigate Sat Nav, but only as a back up facility.  And don't forget always have your map and compass with you.

Better to have the young wonder what you are doing then becoming another casualty statistic yourself.

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum Simon!
cheers,
Steve

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Lost Soul! You see, I've never been 74 years old before so I don't know exactly what to expect from day to day, but it reallly is an adventure especially for my wife. She says waking up every morning and watching a new me evolve is also an adventure for her. I have all of the 21st century stuff, iphone, ipad lap top computer etc; but nothing I find more enjoyable than this compass nav. stuff. I looking into acquiring a used sextant and learning how to nav. by the stars, sun and horizion. Margie, my wife, insists this is not progress some would consider it going backwards. Oh well, "What is, is best".

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
Err no its not going backwards.  Its being very sensible.  What do you do when the battery goes flat, the mobile phone network / wifi is out of range, the satelites go down / are jammed, you drop the gadget?  Revert to map and compass (and sextent) of course.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
And another welcome from me, Simon. Without inspector Morse, or rather without Lewis, I wouldn't have heard about Tyneside  ;)

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
Welcome Silkylemon:)

Visited the Northumberland National Park a few years ago before I could navigate (wedding in Otterburn) replayed I could Noah escape into that excell wilderness and give the cava a miss ;)

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
You have made a good choice Simon in joining this forum, its the best I know ;) Some time ago I spent three months at the Otterburn military ranges, it felt strange to be so near a major city, Newcastle upon Tyne, yet in complete wilderness. The surrounding moorland was quite challenging to navigate in, especially as the whole time it was shrouded in mist.

Silkylemon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
Many thanks to you all for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to spending time here.

And they say "you cant' teach old dogs new tricks". Simon, I find it funny that two older folks like us are learning a skill thousands of years old and the young people here are learning the 21st century tech stuff like "satnav" stuff and the global kits. It's a great world and life, ain't it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry (from Albany, New York)

It has been said “a man is not old as long as he is seeking something” which for a navigator is wonderful, as it is inherent to seek. It has also been said “we turn not older with years, but newer every day”, though I’m not quite as new as you imagine.  :)

Simon