Author Topic: Pacing: toggles usage  (Read 4124 times)

elenabrz

• Get lost!
    • View Profile
    • Online communication consulting and mentoring
Pacing: toggles usage
« on: August 16, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Hi
I just got my 2 orders from shavenraspberry. Beautiful, thanks a lot.
Concerning the usage of toggles to track our pacing...I've thought of using 2 paracords with 10 toggles each, one for meters, and the other for kms. On my right, to count metres (10 toggles, ie, 1000 mts max.) On my left, each time I have used the 10 toggles on my right, I count 1 toggle on my left = 1 km.

What do you think?  ::)

PS: Please excuse my English, it's getting rusty.

captain paranoia

• View Profile
Re: Pacing: toggles usage
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »
That sounds as good a system as any.  It it works for you, it's right...

Ah, you said you're going to count metres.  Well, you could do that with toggles, taking account of your pace count to move the toggles when you've counted enough paces for 100m, but the alternative is to use the toggles to count paces, and convert to km.  Again, whichever works best for you.

The other issue to consider is how long your navigation legs are; 11km (10km + 10*100m) is quite a long leg to measure accurately with pace counting... (depending on terrain).

You can also count down with the toggles; when you start a leg, measure the expected distance, set the toggles to that value (whether metres or paces), and count off the distance as you walk.  When the toggles reach the 'end', you should be at the end of your leg.  This saves you having to remember how long the leg should be, since you only measure it at the start.

A friend has her toggles on one cord, tied to her rucksack strap at the top, bottom and middle, with km in one half, and 100m in the other.  A bit like an abacus.

elenabrz

• Get lost!
    • View Profile
    • Online communication consulting and mentoring
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
That sounds as good a system as any.  It it works for you, it's right...

Ah, you said you're going to count metres.  Well, you could do that with toggles, taking account of your pace count to move the toggles when you've counted enough paces for 100m, but the alternative is to use the toggles to count paces, and convert to km.  Again, whichever works best for you.

A friend has her toggles on one cord, tied to her rucksack strap at the top, bottom and middle, with km in one half, and 100m in the other.  A bit like an abacus.

Hi captain, actually I meant counting paces. I count paces and every time I get to 68, in my case, I move 1 toggle (from the metres cord). I like the abacus concept too, I might try it.

Thanks!

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
I 'sort of like' your idea Elena, the reason being that I would be concerned that when the going gets tough you could confuse the two sets of counters, however, practise makes perfect :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato