Author Topic: Air Masses and how they effect the UK  (Read 4433 times)

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Air Masses and how they effect the UK
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
I was going to write a long tutorial about Air Masses and how they effect us in the UK but the Met Office is a great resource for weather learning so I will pinch theirs.

However years ago i did some artwork for a similar article. I have included it here and I am sure you will recognise it from your school days. Before you go on to read the PDF file take a look at the image and see if you can remember what weather each air mass brings for winter and summer.

And here is the PDF file
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/9/5/No._10_-_Air_Masses_and_Weather_Fronts.pdf
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Air Masses and how they effect the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
In Figure 13. Cross sectional view of a cold front shows the cold front, the dry slot or dry zone and the area of convection.

In this radar image you can see each area clearly I have highlighted each. Now can you see each area associated with the warm front?
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »
Yes, now we can safely conclude that due to the long mix of air masses the chance of having many sudden changes to weather (With high highs and low lows) is quite high, compared to e.g. Belgium, Netherlands, France. Right?
Ivo

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
In the UK our weather is a little more changeable than that of Europe but you guys have higher extremes of temperatures. 

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »
tell me about it, 36 celcius yesterday, rediculous. Almost 38 in south, no record though.
Ivo