Author Topic: Route Cards  (Read 5161 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Route Cards
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
I have just uploaded a Route Card, saved as a PDF file, to the Resource Centre that is free to download for anyone who wishes to personally use it.
http://micronavigation.com/the-resource-centre/
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Route Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
Does anyone use a Route card as their primary navigation aid on the hill?

It seems to be a skill that has been forgotten over the last 30 years or so. 
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
We do at the centre Adi, but this is because I am in charge and also old fashioned ;)

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »
Good to hear Callum there is an advantage of being old it would seem.

I often got comments of 'where is your map' and shocked looks when I said 'in my pack'. Then people would ask how am I navigating, I would show them my route card and compass and often they would say wow that's a great idea I have never seen or heard of a route card before! I would walk off shacking my head in disbelief. 
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »
Spot on Adi and Cal, I am in total agreement with you both. I have always remembered the words of Barry Thompson, a seasoned campaigner and mentor to me years ago, who used to quote General Eisenhower “In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.”
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
As well as personal use, I've been using Route Cards (& planning) with Scouts ever since I have been involved (~20 yrs) so I'm doing my best to keep this practice alive with the latest local generations of emerging walkers!

Every year I organise a Scout hiking competition for our District. They don't know where they are going until they arrive at the starting point (and that is only provided a couple of days in advance to allow transportation planning). Then they are given a completed route card and are then expected to work out the route using the card and their map (they know which map to bring) and then walk it unaccompanied (but with lots of observation from afar!). It's then that we see how well their Leaders have trained them! No (GPS/GNSS/Satnav) allowed...partly as not all would have access to it so those that do would have an unfair advantage, but also to 'force' them to learn traditional map/compass skills.

We usually end up with little groups of young 'uns wandering aimlessly around the countryside and we sometimes have to despatch leaders to go and 'recover' them but we haven't lost any yet (in a permanent sense!) and they, at least, seem to enjoy it and, hopefully, learn something too!

99ster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »

Thanks for making the PDF available to download Lyle - very useful & much appreciated.

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »
Thank you, I will try and make a dutch one :-) should be an easy assignment.
Ivo