Author Topic: Boots  (Read 12167 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Boots
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »
I keep my kit in some purpose build cupboards in my workshop. They have good air-circulation and shelves with different spacings, boards for kit, hanging areas and a boot rack. Some time ago an MR colleague of mine called to collect me en route to a shout we were both attending. I thought that he was impressed with my setup until he remarked ‘It is like an Imelda Marcos’s mountain boots wardrobe!’ – A shameful collection or more than 20 pairs

Any soldier will tell his commanding officer that his rifle is his most important piece of kit, yet in reality it is his boots!

Over the years I have bought most of the latest new feature boots and some of these innovations, for example Vibram soles, have been revolutionary, others, such as Gortex outer fabric, a waste of money.

Some boots have performed in exactly the way they were designed to do, my Scarpa Cumbre boots climbing down into a crevasse in the Vatnajökull glacier, Iceland on a SAR mission and the same manufacturers incredibly expensive, yet essential, Phantom series for arctic environments have served their purpose well.

But the make and style for which I have the most affection are Meindl leather boots. The first pair I bought whilst out in Austria some 10 years ago, the all leather Burma and what a 3 seasons boot it has proved to be. I have worn them so much that they have been resoled twice and had numerous new insoles (the gel-type from Lidls) but a few weeks ago the welt finally cracked and the proofing was lost.

My good friend Stephen Cranston, fellow mountaineer and one time Scottish rugby international, told me that his was really impressed with Meindl’s new Vakuum boot. Similar to the Burma, but with memory foam that completely surrounds the entire foot and a higher ankle support.

I broke them in around the house, as always, then my trip to St Mary’s Loch and across the top with my son Bill was their first serious outing. Since then they have been used almost daily, everything from alighting from helicopters onto scree to descending steep grassy slopes and WOW, what a boot! I would go so far as to say the best 3 season (think they are advertised as 4 season but I personally would not use them this way) walking boot I have owned.

A memorial serve is being held for the Burmas next Sunday ;)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:09:04 AM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

boogyman

• View Profile
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
Hi Lyle, Meindl Vakuum -- is that the (more or less new) Meindl model which is advertized as type A/B? Are the soles sufficiently "rigid" for mountain-walking?

I have worn two pairs of Meindl Wales (type B), and I am very satisfied with them. When they need to be resoled, I send them off to a specialized repair shop in the Netherlands. They do the repairs on behalf of Meindl, Lowa, and a few other well-known brands. As such, they have the original tools and use only original materials from the manufacturer. See:  http://www.deschoenmaker.nl/

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
Pictures display fine on my PC. I first saw the Vakuums on CH5's The Gadget Show, with the great Brian Blessed and they received a very good review. I have not tried the Meindl brand before and my Mammuts are due for replacement. Will try on a pair in my local Cotswolds.

PS Meindl advertise them as 3 seasons, not 4:)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
Yes you are right Cal, 3 seasons :)

Yes Boogyman the soles are rigid enough for mountain walking and scrambling, the exact description for the boot is 'Meindl Vakuum GTX Walking Boot'

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
How much did you pay for them and where did you buy them Lyle?

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
I have seen them advertised @ Field & Trek Cal at £159 including delivery, seems a good price to me :)

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
Actually, I don't have anything intelligent to add, rather I just wanted to shout HELLO across the pond.

Barry (Alive and well thank God)
"What  is, is best"

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
...and we thank god you are still alive Barry my friend; must be that all that excellent Italian cucina ;)

Cal, Field & Trek was where I bought the boots, thanks Pete and I don't think that you are going to be disappointed with them.

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
Thanks Lyle, May 7th it'll be 53 years eating that great food and my wish and prayer for all in this forum is you have it as good as I've had it all these years. You guys have no idea what joy your chatter brings to me!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
Der  ??? read the instructions. I was cleaning my boot store when I came across the tag that had come with these boots and it read 'The memory foam in these boots moulds to the shape of your foot from the heat of your feet after 5 minutes, so tighten your boots again after this time'. It works  :o

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
My boots arrived late last week and like you I broke them in at work in the centre before taking them for their first hike this weekend. They are a well-made and very comfortable boot. Also like you Lyle, I missed the 5 minute warning ::)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
This summer these boots have endured some tough desert like environments and had a lot of sustained use. They are hot to wear, however their stability (the area was covered in small rocks) combined with frequent river crossing where they got wet and dried quickly in the baking sun caused no problems. Comfort is excellent: A+ is my rating so far.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »
Just for info: Meindl manufacture a whole series of different models, all called "Vakuum something". Some are A/B, most are B. Check the right-hand wall on this page: http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle/schuh_frame.asp?k_ID=24&g_ID=1

Regards,
Chris.

faraway

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
If anyone is looking to buy a pair of these boots, they are on special at Field and Trek

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/meindl-vakuum-gtx-boots-mens-walking-boots-182056

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Welcome aboard Faraway :)