Author Topic: Garmin 62 - UK SD card copy  (Read 8306 times)

John-C

• View Profile
Garmin 62 - UK SD card copy
« on: May 11, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »
Just got a Garmin 62S off my wife for my birthday & I'm already stuck at the 1st hurdle! (OK maybe not 1st - I found the on button OK)

Its come with the full UK 1:50K on a 4Gb SD card - I dont want to use this one "live" & am trying to get it onto a larger card so I can add others too.  I've tried a couple of the obvious things like copying the card to disk & back onto the new 16Gb card both directly in my laptop & also from/to the card in the unit, but It comes up with "cannot unlock maps" when its started up.

I cant see any obvious ways to do this on Basecamp & cant find anything in the help.  If I'd downloaded it, it looks like it would be easier...

Looking further I appear to have fallen for a Garmin marketing trap - i.e they make a big deal of all the things you can have & add - but if you have a 4Gb sim with preloaded UK maps, you dont have much space left for much else - because the map appears tied to the SDcards serial number so thers no way to change it so a little stuck - unless someone knows differently

........HELP!

from a senile, easily conned old man.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:16:58 PM by John-C »

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Garmin 62 - UK SD card copy
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »
John, unfortunately you are right. Garmin have dedicated a lot of time to protecting their software and you will not be able to duplicate it. Thought: ask their customer service if you sent them the cards would they copy them onto one?  I don't know if they would but no harm in asking.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

John-C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
Thanks Lyle, I've already asked them if it can either be copied onto larger, or preferably exchanged for downloadable.

It would be nice if they made this clear in the first place.  interstingly, the sheet in with the SD card implies its tied to the unit & not the card, so that seems to be a contradiction

I'm now struggling to work out if I can even have 1:25 & 1:50 on the unit so I can use the best option for where I am/what I've purchased without swapping cards....am I just expecting too much?

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
Depending on the security, you can try to download a program called driveimage, from the company R-TT. This has a trail of 15 days with full functionality. It is used to make forensic copies of harddrives. Now...once you create the image, which you can just write to the Harddrive of your pc, you insert a new, e.g. 8 or 16 GB card and place back the copy. The copy..you have to make not as a "data only" but as an exact copy.

Expectation is that the security is related to the hardware properties of the disk and it will not work, but since this only takes 15 minutes, worth trying I would say.

http://www.drive-image.com/

Ivo
Ivo

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
John I tried doing what you have being trying with the SD Card maps on my Sap Map Active 10 and had very similar issues with them.  Had to give up in the end.  Now I know that this next piece of info is of little use given that you are talking Garmin here; but for general interest Sat Map do publish some of their cards as dual 25K and 50k.

John-C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
Thanks all.  I'll work on it a little more when things are less hectic.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
Hi John-C, I suggest you read the following webpage, it might be of help to you (I am not sure it will allow you to restore maps to another microSD card, but I would not be surprised if it does):
  http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
John, have you resolved this issue yet?
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

John-C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
I got a response from Garmin & will be calling up to "negotiate a refund"/discount for the download version....but away in Ireland for a Funeral right now so will be picking it back up when I get home.

What I have found useful though is that with the copy of the 1:50k on the card, although I can't use it on the unit itself, it does mean I can get a very good view of the 1:25K birdseye select to dwnload  (i.e. I see the selected area on the OS map instead of the built in topo that means a little guess work).  I assume I could also use it for route plotting etc, but since I'd probably get the 1:25k anyway, I'm not sure how much use that would be.

So perhaps some progress to come? :-\