Author Topic: Ben Nevis  (Read 3436 times)

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
Ben Nevis
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
Hi all
Just had an amazing trip to scotland which involved spending a lot of time on Ben Nevis got a chance to use and play around a lot with my gps and traditional method map and compass which was great.Still never ceases to amaze me at the amount of really ill equiped and badly prepared people i see in the mountains,still really worth a visit if you have never been .
mark

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Nevis
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
Hi Mark, gather weather around the Ben has been brilliant lately, in all the times I have been up it, half a dozen times or so, it has always either been cloudy or bad weather :( Any photos  ;)

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Hi Mark, GPS, what's that ;) Word on the street is that you got the first copy of the UNM.

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
hi callum
The weather was amazing got some great pics it really is an awesome place,and yes pete i did get the first copy of the UNM felt very privelidged..

Jester

• The Airdrie Rambler
    • View Profile
    • Airdrie rambler
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »
Hi all
Just had an amazing trip to scotland which involved spending a lot of time on Ben Nevis got a chance to use and play around a lot with my gps and traditional method map and compass which was great.Still never ceases to amaze me at the amount of really ill equiped and badly prepared people i see in the mountains,still really worth a visit if you have never been .
mark
Saw this fellow on the Ben last week:

There was snow further up, it was bitterly cold and he appeared to have no additional gear, either clothing or for navigation.  >:(
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Groucho Marx

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
Somebody has to keep these mountain rescue teams busy ;)

It reminded me of an instant a few years back. We were with a group, part way up on one of the Lakeland fells, it was winter, and snow was forecast for the following day. The centre radioed us to say that it had started to snow back at base and we decided to abandon the trip. On the way down we met two young Spanish guys, not as inappropriately dressed as in this photograph, nevertheless in trainers and city overcoats. We stopped and they spoke no English. Amanda back at the centre did, and we radioed her to talk to these guys and warn them about the incoming weather. They chose to ignore our (her) advice and carried on up the hill.

When we got back to the centre I called a mate of mine who was in the local mountain rescue team to tell him about these individuals. A few days later I got a call back from him to say that at 2300 that night, the B&B where they were staying had called the police worried and the team had had to be mobilised, find them and fetch them back, Numptys!