Author Topic: Marking Harveys Maps  (Read 5364 times)

Brynglas

• View Profile
Marking Harveys Maps
« on: December 25, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
Harveys Maps are obviously a great product and maps that I get a great deal of use from.

What is the best product to mark them with?

Regular graphite pencils are fine, chinagraph pencils don't erase very well without amazing the paper, and lumograph pens not at all in my experience.

Anybody use anything elsewhere?

Bryn

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Marking Harveys Maps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
Hi Brynglas

Are the maps plasticised?  If so then in my experience the only means of marking plasticised  maps is with a chinagraph pencil or lumograph pens.  But both tend too rub of easily when the map is being used.  Ughh!.  The best way to clean the map is with furniture polish or meths.

If the map is paper then a B6 pencil is very good.  Normal soft eraser cleans them up quite nicely with little residual damage.

Hope this helps.

Brynglas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
Hi, Happy Holiday.

Harveys Maps are a very good British made maps system that use their own details and data to produce maps aimed specifically at walkers and climbers in the UK. As such they are a very good product for use in UK mountain areas in additionally to regular OS maps.

Harveys use a very good waterproof paper which has the feel and texture of paper but is very tough and waterproof, as such chinagraph and lumocolour don't work very well, If you apply any alcohol to erase them it degrades the paper and lifts the print.

I've always used a softened pencils on OS maps, a hangover to my days of marking nautical charts, but I was looking at workable option to allowance colour marking/ notation on Harveys Maps.

I'll continue my resource and report back in due course.

ianj37

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »

Hello Brynglas, welcome to the forum.
I have solved this problem, at least to my satisfaction, but it wasn't cheap! I sent my Harvey map to Aqua3 who are based in the Peak District and for £11.99 they laminated it (still going strong after 3 years). It still folds into the original Harvey plastic packet but I can write on it with Stabilo permanent OPH pens and remove with alcohol wipes. Both the pens and the wipes are available from Lyle's on line Shaven Raspberry site but I have to confess to preferring the super fine pens to the fine that Shaven Raspberry sell.

Ian

Brynglas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »
Hi,  Thanks for that, not a bad idea, I'll have a look at that. I like the details on Harveys Maps but they are difficult to annotate.