Author Topic: Android App  (Read 4665 times)

Speedbird

• View Profile
Android App
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
Anyone using an Android phone can get this free useful utility called "Grid Reference" from the Android marketplace. Very simple to use it does only one thing and gives you an instant location reference. A handy utility for the tool kit and as you can see glasses not required to be able to read it . This is on a Desire S. Sorry the poor quality pic but was hurrying to finish my walk before sundown.

Mods do move this if in the wrong thread!

Regards

John
Regards
John

nigelp

• View Profile
    • New Forest Navigation
Re: Android App
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »
Nice find. Looks useful and about all most people need at time when they are 'unsure' of their position.

Nigel

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
John, I downloaded the Grid Reference app for my HTC phone (£4) and really like it, great recommendation ;D

The OS maps offline are great as is the Compass button in GPS mode for easy access and of course - BIG NUMBERS for easy outside reading.

MalcolmHandoll

• Natural Navigation and Five Senses Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Five Senses
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
How accurate do you find it?
I tried out a free version but the GR was out by a few hundred metres.
If this one is accurate, please let us know. You have to be able to trust it.
Cheers and have a great weekend.
M
Five Senses - feel good outdoors

Speedbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
John, I downloaded the Grid Reference app for my HTC phone (£4) and really like it, great recommendation ;D

The OS maps offline are great as is the Compass button in GPS mode for easy access and of course - BIG NUMBERS for easy outside reading.

Hello Callum. Is what you have the app called Grid Reference full? Just looked saw it priced at £4.99? It has very good reviews so interested in this. My version was the free app and the only options are the amount of figures displayed on screen. I have actually found this very useful as you say big numbers very easy to see especially as my eyes are not what they were. Its handy as I keep a small pad to make notes on a route then transfer later to my paper maps. 
Regards
John

Speedbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
How accurate do you find it?
I tried out a free version but the GR was out by a few hundred metres.
If this one is accurate, please let us know. You have to be able to trust it.
Cheers and have a great weekend.
M

Hi Malcolm, my instinct is that this app is never wildly far out. On many occasions I have cross referenced it to what I see on my Oregon 450 and every time the sat nav and the phone numbers have matched. Further referencing to my paper maps on route also reveal accuracy never more than 20-25 metres but of course your mileage may vary! From the screen shot you can see a message at the bottom saying " accurate to 4 metres" the most I have seen is 25 metres. I do understand that it will never be super accurate to very close ranges but for general note taking and navigation use and of course in conjunction with the trusty paper maps I do find it a useful additional  tool.

Regards
John

dave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

I got the free app recently and checked it out along with the etrex and pretty bang on.I like the big read out and the easy way to get an 8 or 10 figure grid.I keep my phone switched off whilst on the hill so battery use not an issue.Also got a free OS mapping app which does not seem as good.