Author Topic: Hello from the States  (Read 3099 times)

azimuth360

• Not all who wander are lost
    • View Profile
Hello from the States
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:34 AM »
Hello fellow landnav folks.  I am a hiker near the Appalachian mountains of the eastern USA.

I spent many years assiduously avoiding getting lost when hiking trails.  Then I asked myself "well then what would I do if I really did get lost?".  So I found a local orienteering club where we try quite hard to get lost, then think our way out of it.  Sometimes people explicitly advise me to get lost... 

I have come to love off-trail landnav in the process.  As Lyle so rightly says, strong landnav skills free you to explore where you like.

I do most of my hiking solo and often in places new to me, so route planning and careful movement are important.  I develop my custom maps with National Geographic TOPO, use both the Silva Type 54 prismatic and the Suunto global models (M3G and MC2G), along with a Garmin ForeTrex 401 satnav.

I look forward very much to learning from this community.
"Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." -- Edward Whymper

Speedbird

• View Profile
Re: Hello from the States
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Welcome aboard.

This may not be the busiest forum in the world but there is a wealth of experience here, much of it quite advanced and even from a Brit centric point of view pretty sure you will learn something, I know I have picked up some invaluable tips and tricks from the folks on here.

Regards
John

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
Welcome too Azimuth360 :)

Completely agree with Speedbirds assessment of this forum, being quality not quantity, and pleasingly, courtesy.

Pete & Emma

wink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
Hi and welcome from a rainy England

wink

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
Welcome, Azimuth 360!

At first I was rather put out that you had joined this forum because I've always assumed that I was the only member who used a Foretrex 401 but, on reflection, it's better to have soulmate than to be unique!

P.S. I'm married to a red-blooded Texan from San Antonio.

Hugh

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
Best forum name yet - welcome Azimuth 360 :)

I think that not only does the Atlantic and our language separate us, but now the jet-stream, which is why we are suffering with the wettest summers on record and you one of the hottest 8)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Thank you for joining our group Mike, great to have your experience on board  :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Azimuth 360
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the Forum.
Enjoy!
steve