Author Topic: Hello everyone.  (Read 3739 times)

Simon B

• View Profile
Hello everyone.
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
Hello there,

I was born in, live in and work in South London. While it's not something I have access to every weekend or for months on end at times, the mountains, moors and forests are places I have visited since I was a youngster. As I get a bit older they reawaken and create a connection for me, and as back then, they continue fire my imagination and every now and then just bloody terrify me. I love it. A decent lungful of air is appreciated as well.

So while I'm not totally unfamiliar with travelling with rucksack on back, through the "great outdoors," I've never gone beyond using the map and compass to make sure North is that way and South is.... no wait, North is...hang on...?

So, I've finally got round to doing something about improving my skills in navigation to a more competent and informed level by starting at page one of Lyle's book and joining this forum! I'm afraid my first posts will be of the most basic (probably woefully obvious to some) questions. But after a year or so I shall hopefully be adding a bit of my own new found knowledge. We're planning to pack our bags and head further west in the not too distant future. A bit closer to the places I love.

In a few years from now I hope to be able to teach my little boy how to navigate us both safely off the mountain and into the nearest pub. "You’re a man now son and I believe it's your round."

Cheers
Simon

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Hello everyone.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
Welcolm to a very interesting and vigerous forum.  Lots of good opinion and information here.

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Hello & welcome Simon

Enjoy your journey through Lyle's book and compliment that with getting out into few of our wonderful UK hills.  ;)

There are some very knowledgeable people on here, so ask those questions !!

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
Welcome Simon :)

We are all continually learning with navigation. I first learned professional navigation 22 years ago in the Army and I have never stopped learning since. This is by far the best navigation forum, so ask away, where I can it will be my pleasure to help ;)

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »
Welcom Simon.
Ivo

Walking Beaver

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Welcome, greetings from Belgium.

WB

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
Hi Simon & welcome.
Loads of learning and great info on here.
In truth, I sometimes find that the depth of knowledge shared here blows my mind and threatens to get overwhelming! I have learned to read it, enjoy it (even if I don't necessarily understand it) and take from it what I can at the moment, knowing it will still be there when I return for more!
Have fun,
Steve

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
Welcome Simon, and more greetings from Belgium  :D

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
Hi Simon, pull up a seat and warm yourself in front of the fire.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Simon B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
Thank you for all your welcomes!

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
Good to have you join Simon :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato