Author Topic: Garmin Sat Nav attaching a Lanyard  (Read 5424 times)

Victorj

• View Profile
Garmin Sat Nav attaching a Lanyard
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
I have followed Lyle's very sensible suggestion of attaching a lanyard to prevent loss of my Garmin venture Hc. I had fun getting the para cord through the tiny slot but with a bit of ingenuity suceeded using a cotton thread to pull it through.

After tying it off and giving it a tug the lanyard came away having snapped the small retaining bar on the Garmin. So the lesson is no matter how strong the para cord is your sat nav is only as secure as its fixing point.

I've reattached the lanyard to the metal loop that opens the battery compartment but obviously this won't resist any serious strain. However it will stop me dropping it in a stream!  :)

Hobbo

• Man, likes camping, hiking and running.
    • View Profile
Re: Garmin Sat Nav attaching a Lanyard
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
Hi Victor,

One potential option is to get some kind of carrying accessory like a belt clip for it.  I wouldn't just rely on the belt clip, but it might fix securely to the GPS and provide a better way to attach the lanyard to it.  Also, with lanyard attached, you might be able to use the clip to fix it to your rucksack shoulder strap.

As I said, I wouldn't rely on just the belt clip because if you've got a rucksack on, it won't be compatible with the belt clip or might knock it off...

Another option is, depending on the dimensions of your device, get a mobile case or other such device. Alternatively, there is the Police method of fixing a radio to your kit (http://www.niton999.co.uk/shop/category_show_Click-On-Dock-Kit.html). Some of the kit on the Niton site will be available for non-Police use and may be adaptable.

Mike
I don't know it all and when I think I do, I tend to find karma is just around the corner...

Victorj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
Thanks Mike,

I've got a protective case with a clip that can attach to my belt / rucksack but no effective way to attach the lanyard to it. So at present I'm attaching the lanyard to the metal loop on the  Garmin battery compartment cover and then putting sat nav in the case which has a hole for feeding through the lanyard. It's probably as secure as using the usual eyelet (now broken), and will stop it falling to the floor. It won't stand any serious strain eg if caught in a rock if I fell.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions which gives me some options.

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
Attaching a lanyard to the battery cover ring might give you a surprise when you go to look at the GPS, only to find all you have left is the battery cover...

> So the lesson is no matter how strong the para cord is your sat nav is only as secure as its fixing point.

Good point, well made...

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and when I wanted to attach the lanyard (paracord), I kind of feared that the retaining bar would suffer too much, so I fixed a tie-wrap through the retaining bar of the satnav and looped the lanyard through the tie-wrap (works well, caused no problems):

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »
Brilliant solution Boogyman, with the eTrex and McMurdo Ranger PLB I have faffed about for hours,  usually having toresort to tapering the end of the paracord in a naked flame then teasing thru the hole with a pin.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato