Author Topic: Sir Ranulph Fiennes next epic adventure  (Read 2404 times)

Pete McK

• View Profile
Sir Ranulph Fiennes next epic adventure
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that this article, by Max Davidson, is written by just another overweight, spent hack, bitter at own his life’s failure?   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/9550507/Come-on-Sir-Ranulph-Fiennes-its-time-to-hang-up-your-snow-boots.html

Not only has Fiennes been a modern inspirational British Explorer, he has also raised millions of pounds for Macmillan Cancer Support.

I wonder how much Davidson has raised for charity.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:54:01 AM by Lyle Brotherton »

Speedbird

• View Profile
Re: Sir Ranulph Fiennes next epic adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else thin that By Max Davidson is just another overweight, spent hack, bitter at own his life’s failure?   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/9550507/Come-on-Sir-Ranulph-Fiennes-its-time-to-hang-up-your-snow-boots.html

Not only has Fiennes been a modern inspirational British Explorer, he has also raised millions of pounds for Macmillan Cancer Support.

I wonder how much Davidson has raised for charity.

It does come across as a pointless rather bitter article without any real reason or purpose behind it. Says a lot about Davidson and very little about Fiennes.
Regards
John

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
As the 19th-century French literary critic Charles-Augustin Sainte-Beuve said,

“No one will ever erect a monument to a critic"

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »
LOL but that is how many People feel about Ran, I for one would be biting at his heels if I could. That sort of hardship is nothing more than a challenge to me get out there and face it. Ok it,s a long way to go in numbingly cold harsh conditions and the wind at times will be horrendous but he is taking a caravan with him and a whole support crew it probably one of the easier things he has done.   
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
After spending four days and nights running over the Brecon Beacons with Ran, only a few years ago, I can tell you that he would give many younger men a good run for their money fitness wise, but where he really scores is in the £15 million he had raised for charity over his life, total respect Ran and an honour knowing you.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
I heard on last nights news that he has had to abort this attempt due to frostbite. A great effort Ran, hats off to you :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato