Author Topic: GPS Training  (Read 4349 times)

Claire

• View Profile
GPS Training
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
Hi all,

Can I ask if anybody has had any experience with a company called GPS Training.  I've been looking at their courses and would just like to know if anybody has experienced them or know of any that they could recommend.

Many thanks ,  Claire

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
Re: GPS Training
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
Claire

I believe that you may be referring to a company alled GPS Training (www.gpstraining.co.uk/) based in Penrith.

In 2006 the owners of the company, Peter Judd and Simon Brown wrote Getting to Grips with GPS pubished by Cordee. It was one of the first reasonably good British book on the subject (GPS for Walkers by Cive Thomas published by Jarrold in association with the Ordnance Survey in the same year was the another).

Hugh

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
Claire,

Not knowing what you want to achieve in the training, it is important to see what they deliver is in line with your expectation, since 60 pounds still is quite some money for 6,5 hours training. What I like is this remark : "If you join this course it is assumed that you can use a map and compass for basic navigation". You can actually follow a few free online lessons, maybe that also gives a feel on what they are about and how professional they take their work. To me, looks quite professional although I think that the list of basic things for a beginner course is good.
Myself, I do not know them, living in The Netherlands. This is more from analyzing a bit of the site information.

In general try to spend some time first by yourself, at least following through the booklet of the vendor, if you then have a few specific questions ...you can steal them during that day and get just a bit of additional information, on top of basic info.

best regards,

Ivo
Ivo

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
Claire,

To follow up on Ivo's advice.

In general try to spend some time first by yourself, at least following through the booklet of the vendor, if you then have a few specific questions ...you can steal them during that day and get just a bit of additional information, on top of basic info.

Given some of the comments on this forum about Vendor's Booklets proves not all are up to the mark.  It would seem that Garmin's are particularly useless.

Do you posses a GPS unit? If not do you have something in mind?  Lyle and some of the other forum members have some secific recommendations on what is good and what is bad.  Also you should be able to get some useful guidance on usage of a specific units (Garmin in particular if past posts are anything to go by) from other members of this forum. 

I use a Satmap Active 10+.  They are expensive but I am very pleased with it.  Instructions are not that bad.  Lots of functionality, only problem is rembering what it all is and where to find a specific item in the menu listing. Well I just keep pressing the buttons until something turns up.

Hope this helps

Leon

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
I was also wondering what sort of training Claire was looking for.  I think going through Lyle's videos and articles on the subject would be a very good start for a GPS receiver newcomer.

Then ask questions on here for specifics; there's plenty of experience, from those who have just started using GPS (this experience is often the most useful, since they haven't yet forgotten what they didn't know), those who have been using GPS for years, to those involved in the design and implementation of GNS systems...

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:34 PM »
With regard to the booklets, from the context of people who know quite a lot it is not very good for sure, I agree on that, but if you take the time and sit down, it takes you through the screens and enough of the options. You get an idea on the basics which is the aim of it. Combined with forum info (vids etc.), see whether a basic course will still serve your demand.

e.g. creating a waypoint you really can get out of the booklet, even crappy one manage to be succesful at that. The one for the etrex 10 was not that bad. Still for the pure novice, some things are simply not explained enough.

I would focus on what you need, in other words, why did you buy, if you bullet that list I think the forum is able to make the most efficient link to where get the knowledge. On the other hand..lets not be too difficult, some people do not want to spend time investigating because of lack of time. A basic course will probably be a good thing thing and the initial question was whether the company is any good. To answer that, based on website, seems a yes, based on experience, no idea.
Ivo

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
It's true that Garmin manuals do describe how to control each feature of the receiver, but what they don't do is explain to a user what functions the unit can perform (and then explain how to enable those functions).  The manuals come at the problem from the wrong end.

Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice,

I have an etrex 10 and I have followed the manuals which as you say are not the best. I'm sure if I keep practicing with the unit and use the forum for any queries I will get there.  My experience is very basic at the moment i.e I can set waypoints, and record my tracks, and I've even managed to upload to GE, but still finding that a little confusing, not been able to download a track from there yet.

I do have one question at the moment and thats about the proximity alarms setting.  Could anybody reccomend what to have the radius setting on - it comes up 000.00 miles.  Once this is set, is the unit supposed to give an auidble alarm to show you are near year destination?

Many thanks again Claire

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »
Claire,

Page 24 of the manual it states that only the 20/30 version have a sound to it.

:)

Ivo
Ivo

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »
CP, actually the manual (NEW etrex range) gives in its titles a little bit more on "what a user want to know" iso of just following menu settings. Still it is close to each other but really, for a novice, going through the manual will have quite some benefits, it gives a good idea of the functions of the device. Also in many other manual that approach is taken. Downside from Garmin I find that they often do not "really" explain sufficiently and have not enough visual support in the form of screenshots etc. in the booklat, like the manual from e.g. satmap 10 has. Adding a view scenario explanations would help a lot as well.

E.g. the proximity part, it does not explain the syntax of the radius setting. Not sure Clair whether you have a question on that or whether you are after the size of the radius you would want to use. Depend a bit on why you want the alert. Personally I think it should have a sound though, not much alert if only the screen indicates something which you can only see if you where reading the screen anyway. BTW the intelligence on how big the radius could or should be..is not a matter of the manual, too many dependencies, also...the manuals of most devices only give what they should, information on the device only (from a vendor point of view). Better buy a book like Lyle B...
Ivo

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:23 AM »
Hi Claire, like you, me and my wife were completely new to this technology, we bought Lyle’s book and a couple of second hand ETrex H models from EBay and simply started to work our way, step by step and at weekends, through the GNSS section of his manual. Friday nights we would read the techniques we wished to learn and the following day, book in one hand and satnav in the other, we did the practical work - we are both teachers ;) Plus, we have learned so much from this forum and as you are finding, members much better qualified are more than willing to share their knowledge and expertise.

It was incredible how quickly we picked up the skills, after around 6 weekends we were both very proficient users. Today I instruct our geography students in the use of handheld satnavs on field trips. I think that there are two important components to learning to use this technology:
1.   Understand your map and compass work well. 
2.   Have a structured approach to your learning and instead of trying to learn it all at once, do it in small steps and really consolidate each piece of learning.

A one day course could kick-start you but I think from what you say, in your case this is unnecessary.

Of course if you are ever up in the Lakes you are more than welcome to join Emma and me on one of our hikes :)

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
> Also in many other manual that approach is taken.

Oh, that's certainly true.  But they're just as wrong as Garmin's...

The trouble is, these manuals are usually writen by the developers, who generally see things from the 'wrong end'; they've spent ages developing the menu system, and that's how they think the device works.

What is really needed in addition, is a section telling a new user what the device can do.  Then you can point them to the sections on how to make the device do these things.

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
CP, yes fully agree on that, it wil enhance the usability and effectiveness of the manuals.
Ivo

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Throw away the Garmin manual Claire, it is worse than useless and follow Pete's advice.

Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:16 PM »
Hi Claire, like you, me and my wife were completely new to this technology, we bought Lyle’s book and a couple of second hand ETrex H models from EBay and simply started to work our way, step by step and at weekends, through the GNSS section of his manual. Friday nights we would read the techniques we wished to learn and the following day, book in one hand and satnav in the other, we did the practical work - we are both teachers ;) Plus, we have learned so much from this forum and as you are finding, members much better qualified are more than willing to share their knowledge and expertise.

It was incredible how quickly we picked up the skills, after around 6 weekends we were both very proficient users. Today I instruct our geography students in the use of handheld satnavs on field trips. I think that there are two important components to learning to use this technology:
1.   Understand your map and compass work well. 
2.   Have a structured approach to your learning and instead of trying to learn it all at once, do it in small steps and really consolidate each piece of learning.

A one day course could kick-start you but I think from what you say, in your case this is unnecessary.

Of course if you are ever up in the Lakes you are more than welcome to join Emma and me on one of our hikes :)
Pete, thanks for that.  Your quite right about structuring and cosolidating what you have learnt, I've found this working already, last weekend I used the sat nav to help with my PC as Lyle describes in the book.  I love walking in the Lakes so next time we are planning to go up will let you know.  Thanks again for the advice.  Claire