Author Topic: Safe Storage  (Read 2486 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Safe Storage
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
For keeping your emergency kit, which includes a First Aid box and a backup Communications/navigation box, together and safe, I use plastic boxes with lids that fasten down. They are Sainsbury’s Klip Locks, where you physically have to undo the lid to take it off, unlike other boxes where the lid can work its way off and you end up with everything at the bottom of your rucksack! In addition, I prefer using these boxes for these kits instead of waterproof bags for the reason that, when packed, your contents stay in-situ: an important consideration, because if you need the contents of either it will most likely be an emergency and the last thing you need is to start fumbling for items. Also these rigid boxes protect the contents, so tubes are not squashed, tables broken etc. Plus they float – even with my First Aid kit in – I know because I dropped it into a loch (accidentally). Currently, they are on offer with 6 of for £10

(I use the largest of the boxes when I am filming my videos for the video camera, remote mike, backup batteries etc.)

“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

captain paranoia

• View Profile
Re: Safe Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
Clip-seal boxes are widely available in various pound stores, too.

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Storage
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
I've got several sets of these boxes from Sainsbury's.
Been using them for a couple of years. Apart from making up various first aid kits I use them for food and other bits and pieces that I want to be able to find in my pack quickly. Great for keeping squashy food in once piece. Have even worked out how to make "box sized bread" for box sized sarnies.
Boxes are easy to pack, always in the same place in my pack so I know exactly where to find them. Great for taking any rubbish home too.
Everyday's a school day...