Author Topic: Salute  (Read 3396 times)

mikee

• View Profile
Salute
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Hi there,

My names Mikee, I'm from Brittany in north west France. I recently bought a copy of Lyles book and since reading registered on the forum.

Nice forum

cheers

M

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Salute
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
Welcome, as you say nice forum.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »
Welcome Mikee

Best fresh produce market I have ever visited was in Dinar, Brittany. Guy art the fish store asked what we wanted and we said that we were B&Bing nearby with no facilities to cook, he told us that was no problem, because if we bought the fish and took it to his mate’s restaurant, he would cook it for us. We duly did this and the guy in the restaurant charged us a small cover for cooking the fish and we ordered veg, desert and wine as normal – a great day.

You live in a great part of the world with brilliant coastal walks, plus the French maps, IGN, are really good.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Hi Mikee, welcome from this belgian forum member too !

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »
Hi Mikee

Good to have you on board :)

As Callum says, check out the IGN maps, these are the French equivalent to the UK Ordnance survey maps.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »
Hi Mikee :)

FYI We used the IGN Series Bleue (blue) maps, that are 1:25 000 scale. There is also a sub-series called the Top 25 which is a larger map covering more territory (have OT or ET suffix).

mikee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

and Callum re your experience in Dinard - I must say it is not unusual to find very very nice welcoming people here......I have worked for pretty much 80% french and found them all to be very 'my door is always open' type of people.

And if like me you like searching for fungi then Brittany has some wonderful places. I was out yesterday with a buddy tracking in a local forest - 85k hectares not bad eh..........though I have to say some of the parts of Scotland that I've seen are pretty good for fungi too.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
I play safe here in the UK Mikee when fungus foraging, having selected five fungi (Giant puffball, Field mushrooms, Morels, Oyster and Ink caps)  that I can recognise easily and know which other fungi can appear similar, yet know how to tell the difference. Am I right in thinking that in France you can take your fungi to a pharmacist for identification?

mikee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
Re the Fungi Callum, yes you can take your fungi to a pharmacist for identification, though some look up the sample in a book to identify.

Fungi collection is very popular in France. This year has been better than last year. I have found several kg of boletus Penny bun 'ceps' and other types.

good hunting and be sure your sure and only eat what you know!!

M

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
The times we have passed fungi and thought, ‘If only!’ Is there a good beginner’s book you guys could recommend, ideally a field book?

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
The thing that concerns me about this fungi talk is, they say "you are what you eat".

Barry
"What  is, is best"