Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 5208 times)

Hobbo

• Man, likes camping, hiking and running.
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
Hi all,

Thought I'd say hello as I've just been 'unleashed' on the forum (I promise not to spam).

I'm Mike, I live in Nottingham and I'm an occasional Scout Leader and a Special Constable (boo, hiss, I know).  I would say I'm an 'OK' navigator (well I always find the pub, which is important), but I'm always on the look out for picking up new techniques and trek-craft skills. I have the book and decided to give this site a whirl.

I love hill walking and just had a week up in the Lakes (it didn't rain) and try to get out into Derbyshire as much as possible, though life gets in the way sometimes.

So hello, how are you?

Hobbo.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:26:55 AM by Hobbo »
I don't know it all and when I think I do, I tend to find karma is just around the corner...

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
Welcome Hobbo,

You have found the right place to discuss all things navigation and learn lots of interesting relevent and fascinating stuff along the way on this very friendly and polite forum.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Hi Mike and welcome to a great forum. I helped survey the labyrinth of sandstone caves under the Sherriff’s old castle in Nottingham and always looked forward to a good pint of Pedigree when back on the surface, some great traditional pubs in your area.

There is lots to learn on this site and lots you can share, everyone’s contribution is valued, even part-time Bobbys ;) (My Dad was a Bobby)

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:21 PM »
Hi Mike, you have joined a great forum, welcome :)

Yes Pedigree is a good beer but I have to take you to task Cal, have you not tried Robin Hood Ale, much better ;)

Hobbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
You could always use the 'Report to Moderator' button for such a terrible infringement...
I don't know it all and when I think I do, I tend to find karma is just around the corner...

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:00:16 AM »
OK Pete, I will go back and try this beer if I have to, you around for a pint Mike ;)

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
Hi Hobbo, welcome from across the Channel !

Hobbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:46:27 PM »
Bonjour, boogymonsieur!

And Callum, yes when I'm not in Newcastle  :-\

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
Hi Hobbo & welcome!
Steve

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
Welcome Hobbo from Albany, New York. Also, just wanted to say hello again to the forum, I've been out of touch because I lost the hard drive of my computer and had to purchase a new one with windows 8 and it's taken me some time to get everything back in order and learn Windows 8.

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Hobbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
Thank you, and welcome back!

What's the verdict on Windows 8? Pain in the bottom or not that bad?

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
Barry, great to see you back on the block :)

Windows 8 on my new PC, after 6 weeks installed Windows 7, says it all really Hobbo ;)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Hobbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
hmmm.

I think when work decide it's time for my laptop to be upgraded, I will ask them to get me a MacBook!

My experience of IT upgrades is where they go against the rule "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
Thank you, and welcome back!

What's the verdict on Windows 8? Pain in the bottom or not that bad?

Windows 8 I was not crazy about, but I found a APP called "Classic Shell" and what this APP does is gives you back Windows 7 Start Menu which is what we've all been used to but your actually using windows 8. By getting the Windows 7 Start Menu back you can do things like you have been accustomed to.

Barry
"What  is, is best"

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
We get accustomed to an interface (like the windows desktop interface), and then we resist to any change to that interface. I assume it is a natural thing (old habits die hard). And yet, the "modern user interface" is where the world is heading.

When smartphones and tablets saw the light of day, people wanted those interfaces to mimic the "PC interface". But things changed very fast, and nowadays people want their PC interface to look like their smartphone/tablet interface. And the PC manufacturers have understood the message.