Author Topic: Hello to All  (Read 4916 times)

PaulQ

• View Profile
Hello to All
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
Hello All,

I have returned to walking after many years of cycling. Thought I should refresh myself on navigation and came across Lyle's book. Really enjoyed the book, especially the use of Sat Nav.
I was a bit of a traditionalist here, but have been converted by using the View Ranger App on my Android phone, so treated myself to a 62s which I have been learning how to use.
Still wouldn't be without the map though!

Found some very useful info on here, so thanks to all who posted it

Paul

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to All
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
Welcome aboard Paul  :)

I gave up road cycling a couple of years back as the risks (Volvo driver in my case) were just too high and took up mountain biking – just as dangerous, albeit no Volvos, but twice the fun  :D

Still on the Etrex and trying to convince my better half what a great investment the 62 would be. Mapping prices are the killer.

Looking forward to your postings and experiences using the new technology.

PaulQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »
Thanks Callum,

You are so right about road cycling. I have been commuting for a good few years now and have finally hung my boots up. Combination of dodgy knees and too dangerous.
Used to MTB, and really enjoyed it, but not quite fit enough for the big climbs now! Still have the odd potter though..

Talking of knees, I am going to try some poles to see if they will help with the downhills, which give me a bit of jip in the knee department.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:10:54 PM »
Backed off using poles for years, then a younger colleague who has completed some big walks throughout Europe said he would not be without them. After having tried them I now agree.

Top tip is buy the best you can afford. I started with a mid-range set and then for Christmas/Birthday received some Black Diamonds and reckon these are the business.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
Welcome aboard Paul  :)

I gave up road cycling a couple of years back as the risks (Volvo driver in my case)

Hi Paul, I purchased a 62 - there a great piece of kit aren't they.  :) Just need more time to get out and use it more often.

I've been using some Leki poles and they are a great help with the knees, I found they took a while to get used to though. Oh and don't do what I did, stopped for a cuppa and dropped the poles on the ground, set of again and 10 minutes later realised that I hadn't picked them up and had to go back for them.  :(

Hey Callum, don't tar all Volvo drivers with the same brush. I'm a nice and considerate Volvo driver. ;)  Besides I don't want to scratch it anymore.

PaulQ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
Thanks Callum & Phil for advice on poles, they are another thing I thought I'd never end up using! I can definitely see me leaving them behind somewhere - left my 7 iron on a golf course once, never got it back. I'll have to put them on a Lanyard as well :)

Yes, the 62 is good fun, makes walking the dog a whole lot more interesting... ;D

I have been trialing the latest Anquet software. I'll post a review elsewhere. Never done a review before, and wouldn't class my self as an expert in this area, but it may be of use to someone.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
Apologies Phil  ;) The bloke who hit me needed sticks, of the white variety!

Post your review here Paul, in Reviews Suggestions & Advice, and if you could say how since owning one it had significantly enhanced your marriage, I could show it to my Mrs and get one  ;)

PaulQ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
Have done Callum. Tell her its a free upgrade!

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »
Will have a pint foryou tonight Paul at the legendary Clachaig Inn - Cheers  :D

Phil

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Apologies Phil  ;) The bloke who hit me needed sticks, of the white variety!

No need to apologise Callum. Guess what colour my Leki poles/sticks are.  ;)

Good luck on the new shiny kit negotiations with the Mrs C.

Enjoy the pint and have a great weekend.  :)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Good to have join our community Paul and already making a great contribution, much appreciated  :)

I totally concur with the advice about walking/ski poles (sounds better than walking sticks), in the past couple of weeks I was with a group of younger men (and fitter, but not yet wiser) on a training yomp over the Brecon Beacons culminating in a descent of Pen y Fan and I got some stick (sorry for the pun) for using my poles, but my knees don’t ache!

The 62 series is a terrific piece of kit and there are lots of little tricks to make it use easier; I will post them here and feel free at any time to ask.

Callum is probably already in the Clachaig Inn, so as a second best I will now open a bottle of black sheep - Cheers  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:23:34 AM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

PaulQ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
Thank you for your kind words Lyle - Black Sheep, in my top 5!

The Clachaig Inn looks like my kind of pub, just a bit too far to travel to claim my pint Callum

Cheers to you both :)

Brian

• View Profile
    • Animal Crackers
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 02:02:43 AM »
Welcome, PaulQ!

I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.  There are some very smart, very knowledgeable people here, and I don't think I've ever seen a forum where people were as polite as they are here.

Enjoy!  Contribute!  Learn!  And Teach us!

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »
Hi Paul, agree with everything Brian has said, only left for me to say welcome too  :)

PaulQ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 01:28:59 AM »
Thanks Brian and Pete. Learnt lots already. Hope I can contribute in a small way to building a useful resource for all interested in navigation.