Author Topic: Hi from Cheshire  (Read 1776 times)

GrahamC

• View Profile
Hi from Cheshire
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:38:06 PM »
Hi to everyone on the forum!

I really enjoyed the book and was pleased to see that I do many of the things mentioned (I used to call it "close" navigation) - but I  also learned a whole lot more.  It was great to see the GNSS covered in such detail - really forward looking.  I know too many people who rigidly stick to the map and compass and won't have anything to do with modern techniques (and who also like to generate a mystique about the compass!).

I don't do much hill stuff now as my main outdoor pursuit is kayaking, but I still do lots of navigation.  I've had  look around the forum and it seems to be growing, with lots of knowledgeable people - so I'm hoping to learn more!

I joined so that I could ask a question - its SAR based so I'll post it over there!

Graham

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »
Hi Graham...

A belated welcome to the forum.

Good to see that your first post created some "lively discussion" over on SAR.

You're dead right that there are too many people who won't embrace modern techniques and the technology that goes with them.
I'd class them as the Navigational Luddites. Time and tide will get to them all eventually.

We'll look forward to hearing about your experiences on the water. Will give us up hill and down dale folk a different perspective on things.

Cheers

Bob
Everyday's a school day...