Author Topic: Hello from Wales  (Read 2188 times)

Briandwi2

• View Profile
Hello from Wales
« on: September 30, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
Just joined the forum. Been walking for a few years now - started going further off the beaten track, and higher up the beaten track and hence found the need to navigate more and more important. Got to the top of the fiddler in NW Scotland in the summer, mist came down and ended up going down the wrong way, which I discovered when the mist cleared. "That won't happen again!" I promised myself so got Lyles book and started paying much more attention. I have GPS and can and do use map and compass, but still got caught out!
Looking to join the modern world and get a smartphone and use this with os maps. Found the thread on the Samsung active 4 phone interesting as that was the one I had my eye on. So, I've been warned off that now. Not sure how mapping software works on the phones as yet and hope to learn something of that from this forum. But that's enough of that. Hwyl fawr nawr.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Wales
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »
Welcome Brandwi2 to a very informative, polite and friendly forum.  We do promote map and compass as the primary means of navigation, GNSS we consider as a back up.  Well that is the theory anyway.  Enjoy!

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Welcome:)

We have probably all been caught our in a similar way Briandwi2 and, as Lost Soul quite rightly observes, the basic map and compass is the best mainstay.

Until I learned Sgurr an Fhidhleir was commonly known as Fiddler, no one had a clue about which mountain I was on about. We caught it on a clear day and the views over Coigach and Assynt were worth the climb.

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Helo a chroeso Brian :)

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »
Hi and welcome to the Forum Brian!
Steve