Author Topic: urban search team  (Read 7876 times)

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
urban search team
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
hi all
I am looking into the idea of starting a voluntary urban search team to assist any of the public services who might need assistance it is only a thought at the moment but would welcome any thoughts on this or constructive criticism.
many thanks
mark

Brian

• View Profile
    • Animal Crackers
Re: urban search team
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:30 AM »
Personally, I think starting a unit is a great idea.  It's also one requiring lots and lots of commitment — I would imagine that starting a SAR unit is really tough work.

You'd want to discuss your thoughts with whoever the local authority is who's presently tasked with SAR, and whose approval and support you'd definitely need for all kinds of reasons.

In the US, the local authority would be the county Sheriff, and our guy, who loves SAR.  His backing is a tremendous asset.

In the US, there are major issues involving liability, so if you want to keep that in the back of your mind.  As long as we're acting as agents of our Sheriff, we're covered.  But if we are to free-lance, or do something that isn't approved (like sending someone unqualified or working beyond his skill level, into the field), we are subject to lawsuits.

Just FWIW.

Michelle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
Mark

That is great news, I hope you pursue the idea. As Brian says, it involves a lot of committment. You will need a strong team behind to help with all kinds of issues including fundraising, recruitment and the writing of your rules, constitution, policies and procedures. Don't let this put you off, existing teams will be happy to help.

Where are you based? It may be an area that is not covered and so by setting up a team you will be helping to save lives. Alternatively, there may be an existing team in your area who would really benefit from such a motivated member.

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
thanks guys was begining to think i had said the wrong thing lol

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:06 AM »
Great news Mark G (know that you have made app toyour local LASAR) - keep us posted with your progress please.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
thanks lyle will keep you all updated.

Michelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
In the UK, there is generally mountain rescue or lowland rescue.

If you live in the hillier areas, eg lake district or dartmoor then your local team is most likely to belong to Mountain Rescue
http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/

If like me, you live in the flatter parts of the country then your local team is probably a member of the Association of Lowland Search and Rescue (ALSAR)
http://www.alsar.org.uk/

Being part of such a team is great, you get out in the great outdoors with a purpose and often venture away from the normal routes, seeing parts of the country you otherwise wouldn't.

To be an operational member you will need a basic level of fitness. Other training will be provided by your team.

If you are not sure about the physical element, don't let this put you off. There are many other ways to get involved.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Rescuerkw

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:01:15 AM »
Hi Mark
A great idea and you should go for it if there's not a service in existence in your area already. Starting up a team is major work, as founder of Essex Search & Rescue I can confirm that very definitely, but it really is worth all the hard work without a doubt! Just don't expect to do much else in your spare time for at least three years!!

I've seen the other comments you have received and it is true that Mountain Rescue and ALSAR do cover Urban search in the areas where they have teams. I'm a search manager (MRC), but have gone on to undergo additional training as an Urban Search Manager, which in practical terms means that although most of the searches I manage are rural, I can quickly adapt to Urban search if needed. It's a very useful skill to have without a doubt.

In my view the experts in that field are Emergency Response International (who I did my training with). They have excellent training courses and have produced a really good book on the subject. They can be contacted at http://www.eri-online.com/. There training is at commercial rates, but it is really excellent and worth every penny I assure you. A good investment.

So, I wish you all the best with your idea and don't hesitate to get in touch if you need any help/advice. My personal email is rescuerkw@aol.com.

Best wishes
Ron Westrup
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:09:31 AM by Rescuerkw »

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
hi all
well the latest update is,attended my first meeting with HANTSAR on thursday evening all the relevant paperwork done now so just waiting for my crb form to come back and then hopefully it all starts really very excited now will be good to put navigational skills etc to good use,will keep you all updated with my progress....

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »
Thanks for update Mark-G

You will be able to put your skills into good use and learn new ones, enjoy good camaraderie, benefit from the ALSAR training  in rescue techniques and most of all, the satisfaction of providing a professional service that helps save lives.

Well done!

Keep us all posted.

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
hi all
well good news my crb check is done and i start training on the 24th of this month happy days........

markg

• View Profile
    • hantsar
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
good job callum
yes you do have to have a seperate crb check for anything you do....

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Just discovered exactly the same here in Scotland for CRB's

dave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

Lyle there are some changes due with Disclosure Scotland,i used to need to register every year for my profession and also for work.Further ones for any voluntary stuff i was doing too! They are going to streamline the process and unless a significant change ie new job then you will not keep having to get a new one.Unsure of the timescale to this.
Dave