Author Topic: Hi Lyle  (Read 2149 times)

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi Lyle
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
I met you at the ALSAR conference, it is nice to meet people with the same passion for navigation as myself. Your short but engaging address to the conference was one of the best I have ever heard on navigation. It was great shearing stories in the bar on Saturday night too.

I hope your trip to the Alps was a great success.

The book is great, I have already half of it and have some new ideas to explore. I look forward to chatting with you in future.

Adi

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Lyle
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
Welcome aboard Adi. Terrific conference and words from a navigator experienced as you are are kind indeed! I will PM you about your arctic pink snow technique, either for me to post or better still you post it in New Techniques section of this forum, it's great!

Going to put a write up on blog about ALSAR Conf today, to summarise here: superbly organised conference and delegates enthusiasm and dedication is a credit to lowland search and rescue.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Lyle
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
Hi Lyle

It was great chatting with you today on the phone and I am very interested!

You have put me on the spot now with the pink snow. I first came across pink snow in Harold Gatty's book 'Nature is your Guide'. I put it to a native in northern Canada many years ago and he confirmed it. I need to remember the details and find the reference  to refresh my memory but once I have I will happily post it on the forum.     
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche