Author Topic: Osprey Hydration  (Read 4789 times)

Bill Smithson

• View Profile
Osprey Hydration
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
Not really off-topic so please bear with me!

I've just bought an Osprey Hydration pack to fit my Talon 33. It comes with a 'powerful' magnet which attaches to the chest strap and allows the user to attach the drinking tube to said magnet, preventing the tube flapping in the breeze etc. The user pulls off the tube to drink and then re-attaches it. Easy. The usual warning re pacemakers (!) etc is prominently displayed on the packaging, and then it mentions possible interference with a compasses, phones, credit cards and 'electronic devices (?GPS). Hmm.

My compass usually lives in the rucksack top pocket ( unless I'm navigationally confused) - approx 8 inches away from the magnet, while my GPS will usually be either in the same location, or my hand - approx 8 to 12 inches away. My wallet, phone etc would also be buried in the rucksack. Would this be a safe distance away to prevent problems, or should I ditch the chest strap magnet?

Any advice gratefully received and apologies if this is in the wrong forum!

Bill

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Osprey Hydration
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
Spot on question for this Forum Bill. Personally, I think that the benefits of the magnet in the osprey are outweighed by the possibility of at best interfering with your compass readings and at worst damaging your compass.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

cairngormwanderer

• View Profile
    • Cairngormwanderer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
Sounds like a piece of kit designed by someone who's never stepped outside his design studio.

Hobbo

• Man, likes camping, hiking and running.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
It's probably designed by someone who runs the same route they always run or sticks to routes they are familiar with in a semi-urban or well-marked area. You can buy non-magnetic alternative parts for them at least.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:48:22 PM by Hobbo »
I don't know it all and when I think I do, I tend to find karma is just around the corner...

John-C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
Very good point Bill & I bet its been overlooked by many people.

Its also on par with magnets on the fron zip covers on what would otherwise be a pretty good waterproof jacket I saw a few months ago.

The girl in the shop just couldn't understand my reaction  :o when I spotted this "......new feature thats better than velcro because it doesn't clog up & look messy...!"  (I just hope the MRTs appreciate rescuing people that look good!)

You do wonder what people are thinking sometimes when you see such basic design issues.

Bill Smithson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »
The magnet has gone! Pity really as the rucksack is excellent,  the hydration pack will work well with it, and the drinking tube will now flap in the breeze!  Given Osprey's reputation I would have hoped their design team would have thought of this potential problem, and I do wonder why none of the reviews in the glossy mags have mentioned it.

Bill

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:44 AM »
Funny how the outdoor magazines don't seem to quickly pick up on these things  ::)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
Sadly Cal these companies are the magazines sponsors, thru their advertising. I once had an article pulled because it highlighted the Satmap A10+ inability to keep water out and I refused to modify my piece. This is why I personally believe forums can be of such great value in kit reviews, speaking of which my new boots, which I will post about now!.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato