Author Topic: New Tech Could Reduce First Responder Risk  (Read 3082 times)

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Tech Could Reduce First Responder Risk
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
I am note sure what this offers SAR teams over using standard Satnav units But still an interesting snippet of news

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2dbdYmEijA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2dbdYmEijA</a>
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Tech Could Reduce First Responder Risk
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »
In the same vein, but far less dramatic, we have been creating our personalised map for the centre, of the areas we work in, using our little Etrexs to record everything from fox sets (for the kids to watch the cubs), to dangerous walls, in need of repair, and to be avoided being near with groups.

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
More use to Fire & Emergency Rescue teams than SAR, I think, especially the auto-mapping of buildings.  I assume the MIT thing is LIDAR-based, judging by the image it presented.  It may just be a scene-interpreting camera, though (i.e. a conventional video camera using image processing to interpret the scene into a 3D model).

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all different..."

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »
Cool Callum, I must come up and see you one day. Now I know you have a fox den on site I will bring the camera. Hopefully time it for when there are cubs at it.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
I hadn't picked up on the fact that it LIDAR to draw the solid structures as well. That is cool.

I watch one of those LIDAR mapping units used to mad an old mine in Wales. I was amazed at the speed and accuracy of the thing. One you had the date you could drop digital images over it for a realistic 3D seen.