Author Topic: Contacting the Emergency Services  (Read 29430 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Contacting the Emergency Services
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
I have started this new thread in a continuation of one that changed topic http://micronavigation.com/forum/index.php?topic=413.msg2823;topicseen#msg2823 which summarised is:

Following a short video I made about how to maximise your chances of getting thru to the Emergency Services (Police, Fire & Rescue, Ambulance, Coastguard, Mountain Rescue).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU</a>

John C wrote "Lyle, can you also text to 112?  if so, do you need to register on that number as well as 999?"

Updated answer 0114 09122012: Once a mobile phone has been registered it will work with either 112 or 999 - it does not need separately registering with both.

Callum wrote "We have a ski trip planned to France and I was wondering if you know if other countries have the texting service to contact the emergency services and if so how you register?"

According to Ivo, in Holland it was made available for people with a speech or hearing difficulty in July this year and is being run as a pilot until July 2013, after which a decision will be made if it is to be rolled out to the general public.

I will contact the various SAR organisations I have worked with across the world to establish where there are similar text services available, what you have to do to register and what number you have to use, then I will publish them, on this Forum, as and when I receive replies. I will then compile all of this information into a PDF file that folk can download.

Any Forum members living overseas your help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem of different numbers used throughout the world to contact the emergency services is best illustrated in France, where it is difficult for visitors to know exactly which number to call, in addition, their emergency services have slightly different roles to the ones we are used to in the UK.

Dialling the following numbers for the respective emergency services:

*   15                   for SAMU (The medical emergency/accidents/ambulance service)
*   18                   for Les Sapeurs Pompiers (Fire Brigade) for fires PLUS medical emergencies, including traffic and domestic accidents.
*   17                   for Police (Police Nationale or Gendarmerie) this number connects you with the nearest of these two police forces for emergencies.
*   04 50 53 16 89 for PGHM (Mountain Rescue), this number varies by region, the example given is for my friends at the Chamonix team.

Conversely dial 112 when in France for any of the above!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:06:08 AM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Contacting the Emergency Services
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
Very useful indeed.  Everybody should watch this.

ianj37

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
As always, an excellent video Lyle. I had no idea that mobile phones had that functionality in them. One point I'm not clear on though - I'm sure it's probably me being slightly dim as usual but in the UK are the messaging priorities, no sim card etc you mention in the video only available when 112 has been dialed or do they also kick in if 999 is used?

Thanks

Ian

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Good question Ian,

The simple answer is Yes: 999 initiates the call in the same way as 112 does, but not necessarily on all mobile phones and it is restricted to the UK only. Therefore it is much better to always use 112.

Thanks for your kind words :) This subject, probably more than any other, is a passion for me. I have arrived at too many incidents where, if the casualties had understood better the procedure for getting help, it may well have saved their lives. As a consequence, I have spent years researching this information and obtaining permission to publish it, dealing with Government departments, from the UK Cabinet Office to the US Department of Homeland Security, major mobile phone manufacturers, mobile phone operators and many SAR organisations internationally. It is the stuff that people really need to know that one day it could save their life!

My answer is quite a technical, so please allow me to prefix it with:

In most instances a telephone call to 112 or 999 will be faster than a text. However if there is intermittent network coverage, such as found in remote areas, where the signal keeps breaking up, because the SMS is a small packet of information it’s transmission time is less than that of a voice calls to give the same information, and SMS may get thru where a voice call may not.

I will separate VC (Voice Calling) to the Emergency Services from the SMS TR (Test Relay) service to the Emergency Services as MNOs (Mobile Network Operators) access to emergency services from their networks can vary with TR; however there is an agreed protocol standard which makes VC uniform throughout the EU (European Union). 

Voice Calling the Emergency Services from a Mobile
BT, or Cable & Wireless, first take the call in their OACs (Operator Assistance Centres) and then connect you to the ECC (Emergency Control Centre) of service you require, Police, Fire & Rescue, Ambulance Service and in Coastal areas the Coastguard. Note: For Mountain Rescue you have to go through the Police.

UK mobiles cannot roam within the UK. Instead they enter what is called as a Limited Service State, where the mobile phone camps-on another mobile network for voice emergency calls.  This is restricted only to voice 112/999 calls only and does not work for SMS.

In practical terms this means that if your mobile is unable to obtain service from your usual Mobile Network Operator, in my instance in the video this was O2, then it will latch onto any other MNO’s service that is available and the examples I gave were such as Orange, Three or T-Mobile.

An important note when mobile phones use LS is that the mobile number is not passed to the OAC. Therefore you should always give your mobile number too.

SMS Texting to the Emergency Services
SMS numbers are not controlled like the telephone network 112/999 calls. They use a different bandwidth and the use of SMS numbers is down to the MCPs.

The SMS system does not guarantee when, or if, the SMS message will get delivered.

A foreign mobile in the UK will always send SMSs via their home network. So if they tried to send an SMS to 999 it would be delivered to their home network and not the UK Emergency Services.

I will clarify with BT and Cable & Wireless OACs if an SMS text message sent to 999 has network priority.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:33:30 AM by Lyle Brotherton »

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
I have now established that you can SMS Text 112 (as well as 999) in the UK

You will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergencySMS first.

To register, text REGISTER to 112. You will get a reply – then follow the instructions you are sent.

IN AN EMERGENCY ALWAYS TRY TO ESTABLISH CONTACT WITH THE EMERGENCY SERVICES BY A VOICE CALL (from a mobile phone or a land line) FIRST.

If after trying the methods, which I outline in the video, you cannot get thru,

Text 112 with:                Who?
                                          Police, Fire and Rescue, the Ambulance Service, Coastguard or Mountain Rescue.
                                      What?
                                          Briefly, what is the problem.
                                      Where?
                                          Exactly where the problem is happening – give the name of the road, house number, postcode, Grid Reference or nearby landmark, if possible.
                                      How?
                                          How many people are injured
                                      Your?
                                          Name & mobile number

The Emergency Service will text you back and either ask for more information or will tell you that help is on the way.

Do not assume that your message has been received until the Emergency Service sends a message back.

It will usually take about 2 minutes before you get a reply and, as stated in the video, if you don’t get a reply within 3 minutes, try again or find other ways of getting help.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:34:37 AM by Lyle Brotherton »

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »

Absolutely excellent information here, plus in the video, Lyle and of a real benefit.

A couple of questions –
1. It makes sense how the information in an SMS text, which is transmitted quicker than a voice call, has a better chance of getting through if the signal is intermittent. Does it still manage to get through when the network is busy/full if it is not prioritised?
2. A minute seems a long time for an emergency voicecall to get through, I thought these type of calls were answered in seconds, what is the reason for this wait?

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

1. It makes sense how the information in an SMS text, which is transmitted quicker than a voice call, has a better chance of getting through if the signal is intermittent. Does it still manage to get through when the network is busy/full if it is not prioritised?

Yes Callum an SMS text will still manage to get through when the network is busy or at full capacity.

The reason it is able to do this is becasue as long as a mobile phone is switched on, even when not in use, the mobile phone is constantly sending and receiving information with the base station (cellular mast) using a pathway called a Control Channel. The timings of these communications varies, from every minute, to several minutes, where the mobile phone and the base station exchange a data packet, primarily so that the mobile network knows which cell your mobile phone is in, so as you move around it switches you to different base stations.

This Control Channel is also used by the mobile phone for the call setup. When someone tries to call a mobile phone, the base station sends a message over the Control Channel that tells the mobile phone to play its ringtone. The base station also gives the mobile phone a pair of voice channel frequencies to use for the call.

I have drawn this diagram to help explain why SMS texts can get thru when voice calls cannot, on the Control Channel and utilising a TXD Platform and Relay Operators

2. A minute seems a long time for an emergency voicecall to get through, I thought these type of calls were answered in seconds, what is the reason for this wait?

You are right Callum and BT (British Telecom) and C&W (Cable & Wireless) do an outstanding job in managing the 31 million calls made annually to the Emergency Services where the T2A (Time to Answer) is critical, BT achieved 98.3% of all calls T2A ≤5 seconds.

The only occasion in the last 5 years where the T2A fell below this was during the UK riots in the summer of 2011, when demand for the emergency services reached an all-time high and T2A fell to 41 seconds.

Under such exceptional circumstances BT has a resilience strategy. It implemented this during the 2011 riots, part of which is called BTCare, a Twitter account, where arrangements have been made with high profile individuals, who have a large followings on Twitter, to re-Tweet approved messages sent from BT, where Twitter is used to explain the pressure on the service, asking people to dial 112/999 only in cases of absolute emergency. In this instance, the message within minutes reached over 300,000 people and contributed to a reduced wait time from 41 to 5 seconds.

In addition, operators from other BT service areas were moved on to the 112/999 service, to help with the extra call volume, staff leave was cancelled and managers worked through the night in centres that are not usually 24/7. C&W have a similar resiliance procedure.

Given the maximum wait had reached 41 seconds and that initiating the call with the network takes a few extra seconds, I built in a 50% safety margin, hence wait 1 minute for the call to connect. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:22:29 PM by Lyle Brotherton »

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
Thanks Lyle, very useful as always!

In an earlier post ...John C wrote
"Lyle, can you also text to 112?  if so, do you need to register on that number as well as 999?"

and you replied...
"John the texting service is only available using the number 999 – there are no plans currently to change this."

Of course you have now subsequently confirmed that you CAN text to 112

So that re-raises (?!) John C's question if you need to register seperately for 999 and 112 or if registering on just one is sufficient for both (e.g. I have registered for 999 but do I need to register on 112 too?!).

Just need to get it into my head correctly.... :o

cheers,
Steve

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »
Thanks Steve, you are absolutely right in making sure it is exactly clear what to do. As a consequence, I have taken the precaution of updating my answer to John C’s question in this thread, as it appears so early and I need people to be in no doubt whatsoever, as to exactly what needs to be done.

Once a mobile phone has been registered it will work with either 112 or 999 - it does not need separately registering with both.

Even if you change your MNO (Mobile Network operator), i.e. move from Vodafone to Orange, or the mobile phone’s SIM card, the phone will remain registered with the emergencySMS Service.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:36:11 AM by Lyle Brotherton »

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »
Lyle, pardon the numerous questions ;) You have brought my attention invaluable information that I intend to use both personally and professionally, as a teacher, where I am often responsible for groups of youngsters in the outdoors and I am keen to understand this topic well.

You state that mobiles are the most common way for members of the public to get in touch with the emergency services and you have demonstrated how the chances of achieving this can be increased, when making a call or by sending a SMS. My question is, are there other ways these mobiles can do this? I ask this for the reason that at a café we usually visit, at the end of our walks, near to where we leave our car in an area of the Peak District, we can get their free Wi-Fi but not a phone signal and sometimes, if we arrive at this café when it has closed, our mobiles ping as they pick up emails.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
There cannot be too many questions on this subject for me Pete, so fire at will ;)

I am keen to understand what people feel they need to know and be aware of any concerns they may have, as my objective is to produce a very straight-forward guide, that anyone can access, using videos and information that can be downloaded, from this forums host website, in addition to writing about the subject in the popular press, so your questions are invaluable.

The simple answer to your questions is Yes: Mobile phones can be used in different ways to contact the Emergency Services, in addition to mobile phone voice calls and sending SMS texts. I have detailed them here:

VoIP
The third most common method of contacting the Emergency services is VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), which is Internet telephony, also referred to as VoBB (Voice over BroadBand) and broadband phone.

Last year 120,000 calls were made to OACs (Operator Assistance Centres) using VoIP, the most common of which was Skype – in strictest technical terms Skype is not VoIP, but for the purposes of this answer and because the term VOIP has become analogous for any communications that deliver voice communications over IP networks, such as the Internet or other packet-switched networks, we will include it.

All VoIP providers in the UK have to comply with an OFCOM (The Office of Communications - this regulates, amongst other things, telecommunications in the UK) requirement to allow 112/999 calling from any IP telephone device and route it through to an approved OAC. A similar arrangement is in place in the United States.

As a consequnce VoIP providers’ who operate in the UK route all 112/999 calls direct to BT’s OACs. However the system is not as resilient as voice calls made using the mobile phone network, as it will not work during an electrical power or broadband provider outage, or if your VoIP account has been suspended or terminated.

Email
Currently there is no direct access to the OACs using email, but this is something the Home Office are investigating. The problem arises because current internet security providers are finding it difficult to keep up with the rising amount and complexity of inbound threats from malicious code and fraudulent messages, including spam, that circulate via email and the risk of mass hoax contacts are substantial.

I personally would recommend that you send a distress email to a responsible person, whether this be a family member or good friend, who you have discussed the matter with in advance and ask them to contact the Emergency Services on your behalf.

Mobile phone lights
The International Distress Signal* can be employed using the mobile phone’s cameras flash:

• 6 quick successive flashes
• Wait one minute
• Repeat the signal every 5 minutes
• Keep repeating the signal until help arrives. This is important and helps those coming to you to actually find you

I was with an RAF Sea King helicopter crew that picked up the light from a mobile phone, at night, 3 miles away. This was possible because the aircrew use the latest generation sophisticated NVG (Night Vision Goggles). All the RAF SAR fleet of Sea Kings are fitted with a video/infrared detection pod, which is similar to the equipment used by police helicopters, to help search for casualties and all SAR crews are trained to operate using night-vision goggles over unfamiliar terrain.

There are also some apps for both Android and Apple smartphones that can turn the phones screen into a torch.

I learned of a terrific story, from a friend who is a member of the busy Lakeland Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, that took place in November. Three members of a family had become crag fast on a steep scree slope above Wast Water Lake. The team were mobilised at 18:00hrs and using their RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) reached the party, being guided to their exact location by the flashes from one of the casualty’s mobile phone cameras!

* Important note: In the USA and Canada the Distress Signal is 3 whistle blasts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:56:08 PM by Lyle Brotherton »

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
Another good reason to conserve power on your mobile.  Which of course means restricting its usage to the bare minmum until really needed.  This goes back to points made on other threads, on not relying on mobile phone GNSS apps to provide your navigation.  Which of course are very power hungry.  And add to this list of unesseccary power drains activities such as using it to keep updating your face book status / twitter account etc.   When you are lost or what have you and inevitably the battery has failed due to unesseccary usage then you are not going to be able to dial 112/999 let alone use the flash facility.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:30:19 PM by Lost Soul »

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
I have started to receive the replies to the emails that I sent to the various SAR organisations I have worked with across the world, asking them if there is an emergency SMS text service available, similar to emergencySMS in the UK, what the number to use is and exactly you have to do to register to use it.

Instead of posting each one individually in this topic, I will collate the answers, verify them and when I have received the vast majority of replies, announce it here on this Forum to make them available as a download for people wishing to travel abroad.

Callum, you specifically asked about France, herewith are the details:
The French Emergency Services currently only accept voice calls, with the exception from people who are hard of hearing or have a speech impediment, who can SMS text 114 to reach them. Individuals do not need to be registered to use this number.

There is also an English language NGO called SOS Helpline that can be reached daily 15:00-23:00hrs on 01 46 21 46 46 and their website is http://www.soshelpline.org/

If you are visiting a mountainous region, visit the local Police station, Fire station or Marie (Mayor’s Office) and obtain the specific telephone number for that regions Mountain Rescue Service.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
In the analogue days all mobile phones had a folder in one of the menus that had the main emergency numbers, i.e. 112, 911, 118, 119, 000, 110, 08, and 999. If you rang any number that was stored in that folder it would connect you to the emergency services of the location you were in regardless of the number you dialed. For instance if you were in the states and rang 999 you would be connected to 911.

This was written into international communication law and is still the case today with GSM mobiles but the problem is the manufactures hide this folder away deep within your phone so it is extremely hard to find it and check which numbers they have stored.

If the number is not stored in that folder the phone and you try to ring one of the many other emergency numbers that are found around the world then the phone will not recognise the number as an emergency number and will not try to connect to other available networks.

Although I advice people to get the emergency numbers and embassy numbers before visiting another country (that does for every country including those in Europe) in most countries just ring 999 from your mobile and you will be connected, regardless what their number is. If you are using a land line then you will have to ring the local number but if you are a fool and don't know that number in advance try 112 or 911.

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
Adi wrote "Although I advice people to get the emergency numbers and embassy numbers before visiting another country (that does for every country including those in Europe) in most countries just ring 999 from your mobile and you will be connected, regardless what their number is. If you are using a land line then you will have to ring the local number but if you are a fool and don't know that number in advance try 112 or 911. "

Adi, the very last thing a person needs to do in an emergency is to start trying to remember what specific emergency number to dial, for what specific service, in the country they are in as they will be highly stressed.

You need dial only one number from a mobile 112

The reason that 112 works anywhere, on a mobile phone, is that 112 is programmed into all mobile phones manufactured in the last 10 years, and many mobile phones built prior to this date. Dialling 112 initiates a unique calling procedure in the phone that all GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) networks recognise and GSM is the International Convention.

Many internet sources, including Wikipedia, state that dialling 112 or 911 forces the phone to roam and use any available network, this is incorrect. Because 112 is recognised by all GSM networks a special emergency call setup takes place where the call is latched onto available networks and the telephone number of the caller is neither needed or transmitted.

From a landline 112 works anywhere in the European Union, plus 50 other countries worldwide including America, Canada and Australia.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:26:14 AM by Lyle Brotherton »