Author Topic: Grid Ref Plaques in Snowdonia  (Read 3181 times)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Grid Ref Plaques in Snowdonia
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
Now here is a really good idea just seen on the OS web site. Discreet plaques on stiles etc.  Plaque has grid ref displayed on it to help lost walkers relocate themselves.  Assuming they have a map and know how to plot a GR of course.   ::)

http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/magazine/tscontent/editorials/outdoor-skills/2012/snowdon-installs-grid-reference-points-help-lost-walkers.html

Lyle, not sure if this is the right section of the forum for this info.  If not perhaps you can move it to the appropriate place.  Thanks  LS.

captain paranoia

• View Profile
Re: Grid Ref Plaques in Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
Many waymark posts in Dorset are marked with a grid ref.  Seen some marked in the New Forest, too.  I suspect it's only the recently-placed or replaced posts, being a recently-introduced idea.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 06:43:43 PM »
Lost Soul, absolutely the right place to post, read on…

I had not heard of thi8s idea before and think it has a lot of merit. Most of us will have been on a British mountain when the weather comes in, from driving rain to thick fog, and it is easy to get disorientated, these little plaques give you an instant fix, if, as you say LS, you have a map and know how to transfer a gird reference to it, if not, and you are lost, then at least give you can give Mountain Rescue the right reference ;)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

ianj37

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
A fence is being erected across Kinder Scout in the Peak District to help stop erosion by keeping sheep out. The fence has gates or stiles every couple of hundred metres and some of these have the number and an accurate grid ref on them - the phone number at the bottom is for the National Trust not Mountain Rescue :)

All the best for the New Year

Ian
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:59:56 PM by ianj37 »

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »
I remember where I'd seen one in Dorset; on the East Creech fingerboard on Furzebrook Road on Purbeck.  I recall trying to get the marked OSGB ref to tally with the map; it didn't seem to be correct.  Sign says 914 826.  Map suggests 933 826.

You can see the sign on StreetView (hopefully)...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=50.642764,-2.096581%20%2871%E2%80%93132%20Furzebrook%20Road,%20Purbeck,%20BH20%205AR,%20England%29

I think there's a new post here (replacing the one seen on StreetView), seen whilst waiting for various DofE groups to make their way...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=50.639483,-2.062044%20%28Purbeck,%20BH20,%20England%29

They have 10-figure GRs routed into the post, and painted black.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
These plaques would be a good place to add a summary of Lyle's (to-be) instructions on how to make emergency calls.