Author Topic: New Videos  (Read 11428 times)

Speedbird

• View Profile
Re: New Videos
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
Just popped over there and watched these videos. Very useful indeed and excellent reminders of stuff I am always forgetting. The sat nav set up was very useful and I discovered I was one adjustment out that is now been put right. Thanks for making the effort with the videos they are easy to watch and easy to understand.
Regards
John

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »
Just posted the next in what I intend to be a series of videos titled 'Help Me' to run concurrently with a series that I am writing for Trail Magazine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6rSV60it4

Whilst they have been used for years at sea and it was only last year that they became legal to use on land in the UK in 2012, yet their function and value remains little known in the outdoors community.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
Great video Lyle.  As you say when you register the PLB (with MCA if UK based) you have to provide 24 hr Emergency Contact information.  Now if you have signed up for Cram Alert then by providing their contact number and your unique Cram Alert registration number the rescue services will know who you are, next of kin contact details as well as your medical must know information.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:38:07 PM by Lost Soul »

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
First-rate video Lyle. Although I already own a PLB I was not aware of the time benefit from the equatorial satellites.

Your 112 video (http://bit.ly/VJncU5) has over 70,000 hits in just 3 months, wow! Maybe you should think about having a description for your Channel on YouTube, as at the moment you do not and may be missing an opportunity :)

Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
Maybe something on magnetic variation too Lyle, it is amazing just how often this subject crops up, and how confusing it appears to new and experienced navigators alike.

Oh Please....for the love of god.  Mind you, chances are if I manage to nick Ls book back off of my colleague all will be understood.

I get it in parts, but I have so many grey areas (partly that if you have to work out the current GMA from the info printed on the map, what happens with the printable service from OS online where this info is not shown, and more to the point, if the relationship between grid and mag changes on various parts of the map sheet, let alone with time, what it the point of the sites that give the current variation?)....Or have I got GMA and Declination totally middle up and should I go and use the compass lanyard for something more constructive.....?

Its one of these things that once understood clearly, you get it.  Then the challenge is getting it across to others.

Anyhow...happy xmas and new year folks, I will naff off and read....just off out onto the forest with 2 smelly spaniels and a new Sunto....see you next summer....probably