Author Topic: Common terminology  (Read 9198 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Common terminology
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
Hi Ivo,

I tried accessing the account without success yesterday,pleasecan you check it for me.

Some of you will see that I was waiting for this months copy of 'Trail Magazine' to be published as the listofdifferent termshas been started here. It is a start and nothing more, I will transfer this information onto the account, I presume Ivo that I create a file inside the account, could you let me know how please? Then we can PM other members who wish to contribute.

Thanks, Lyle :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
see the folder public with the file "test for Lyle" created with the online version of MSOFFICE, in this case a word file. You can save the file and close as if it were regular office. If needed I can share my desktop from home via skype and show you (at least ..that should work)
Ivo

janso

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
Gents,

This is such a great idea! Many a time I've got confused chatting to someone about about a navigational technique and when theory turns into practice its either something completely different or we both call it something else!!

It would make sense to try and get some universal terminology on the go... however, being ex-military, I know that a lot of ex-forces still use 'military terms and this seems to be a point of common confusion :-\ :-\ :-\

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
Saw your article in this month’s Trail Lyle, about the different names for features in Britain, which I guess was your starting point.

I have added them all to a text file, (saved as .txt so folk with Macs can access) and if you let me know where to upload it we can start this great project.

Rescuerkw

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »
Magnetic variation - a nautical/aeronatical term - I prefer it as the term declination doesn't do it for me.
Slope Aspect? Aspect of Slope for me every time. After all who would say "Slope, the way it is viewed" rather than "the way the slope is viewed". Aspect - the way something can be viewed (Oxford Dictionary)
Baseplate compass - a good term as far as I can see. For me it says what it is and separates the type from say a lensatic compass that wouldn't normally have a base plate.

My thoughts for the day for what they are worth. :) :