Author Topic: cattle  (Read 4580 times)

which way

• View Profile
cattle
« on: September 02, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »
I am relatively new to walking as a hobby, but that does not mean I have not been on walks in the past.
I seem to remember, say ten years ago,  on lowland walks through fields full of cattle. The cattle almost always seemed to have a passive look about their faces, and at the very most saunter over to you to investigate.
Of late however, on more than one occasion in different places,  the cattle seem to look at you with intent and support that look by galloping towards you,  still with intent on their faces.
I do not consider myself a wimp, but I must admit, whilst judging the look on their faces and realising their momentum,  again on more than one occasion,  found myself scrambling over a fence,  for what I believed to be my own safety.
Anyone had similar experiences?
W W

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: cattle
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
Hi WW

For starters have a look at this thread.

http://micronavigation.com/forum/index.php?topic=695.0

You might like to do a search of the Forum for cattle.  If I recall correctly the subject has cropped on more than one occasion.

LS

ianj37

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
I've never been attacked or even had any cows come towards me but due to what I've read I must say that I get a little nervous just going through a field with cattle in.
Despite the advice it's not always possible to give them a wide berth so unless they're on the path I just follow it and am prepared to make a run for it (this is very much mind over the facts of aging, I suspect they would catch me very quickly)!

The number of reports of cattle attacks is either on the up or the reporting of them is - the latest appears to be a poor sould walking a dog who was critically injured in Cumbria on bank holiday Monday - http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/08/31/dog-walker-critical-after-being-trampled-by-cows-at-brampton-cumbria

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:36 PM »
This thread, too:

http://micronavigation.com/forum/index.php?topic=389.msg2616#msg2616

I had encounters with young bullocks on Sunday, with some starting to run towards me. A 'stern word' stopped them in their tracks. A calm word soothed the skittish ones.

Always worth being sensibly wary of large animals.

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:36:23 AM »
I believe that most of the walkers killed by cattle have been accompanied by a dog for which cattle have a strong aversion. My daughter lives in dairy country and has her own dogs and a dog-walking business but she never takes them into a field containing cattle. If you are with a dog, the advice given by the National Farmers' Union and the Ramblers when cattle show interest in your dog, is to let go of the leash and allow the dog take care of itself; most dogs can outrun cattle.

My observations suggest that:
Bulls pastured in fields crossed by public rights of way are usually harmless, especially when with cows, but should be given a wide berth.

Mature milking cows are usually lethargic and merely keep a watchful eye on humans (unless you are with a dog). BUT, you should never go near a cow with a small calf because she might attack you.

Heifers (female virgin cattle), which can be distinguished from bullocks because they lack a penis, are lively but are almost always harmless. They will often come running towards you because they lead boring lives and you may be the one point of interest in their day, but will come skidding to a stop before they reach you. Wave your arms and they will run away, or just follow you at a safe instance and will appear to be disappointed when you cross into the next field..

Bullocks, also known as steers, are castrated bulls so have a penis but lack the large scrotum of a bull. Bullocks rarely reach old age, because they are reared for their meat, and behave much like heifers.

All cattle are livelier in the spring when they are released onto fresh pasture after spending the winter in barns. I've seen elderly cows skipping with joy when first released. Herds of young cattle will sometimes run up and down or round and round a field giving the impression of a stampede. It looks alarming but they won't come close unless you are with a dog.

I never allow dogs on the walks that I lead.

Hugh

For a preview of the 5th edition of my book The Walker’s Handbook; Everything you Need to Know about Walking in the British Isles click on http://walkwithwestacott.com/. Then click on ‘Reviews of The Walker’s Handbook' in the Navigation panel to the right of the illustration of the cover.

which way

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:31:02 PM »
Thank you all for your advice. I think what you are saying makes sense and fully go along with the dog advice . However, I can never remember having any concerns about cattle until recent times. The strange thing is, when I speak to people around my age about this subject,  they tend to agree?
WW

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
Now I recall someone saying its to do with the law.  There are laws about dangerous cattle breads, footpaths and public protection.  The law specifies affected breads that must not be kept on land legally accessed by the general public.  Breads specified were those resident in the UK at the time the law was passed.  However, farmers seem to be importing breeds that are problematic in respect of public safety, and as they are not specifically referenced in the appropriate legislation then they are by default exempt.

A quirk of UK law.  Same problem as trying to control legal highs.

If you don't specify what ever is the problem then its not illegal.

The law needs to be written in generic terms viz Cattle shall not be kept in areas legally accessed by the general public unless they have been certified by the HSE as being docile and safe when in the proximity of other life forms.  You get the gist.

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 07:28:06 PM »
I believe that the law in England and Wales is reasonably straightforward. Here are two extracts from The Walker's Handbook based on information derived from Rights of Way; a guide to law and practice by Riddall & Trevelyan which is the standard work on the law as it applies to England and Wales:

40   Beef- breed bulls, providing that are accompanied by cows or heifers, may be pastured in fields crossed by public paths. It is illegal to pasture bulls of recognized dairy breeds that are more than ten months old in fields crossed by public paths. (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 section 59.) Dairy breeds include
•   Ayrshire
•   British Friesian
•   British Holstein
•   Dairy Shorthorn
•   Guernsey
•   Jersey 
•   Kerry 

Note that all dairy breeds are prohibited with the most popular breeds listed. This should take care of other dairy breeds introduced into the UK.

41   It is illegal to have an animal known to be dangerous (including beef breed bulls) in fields crossed by public paths. (Animals Act 1971 section 59, Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 section 3.)

67   The Occupiers’ Liability Act 1984 was amended so that occupiers of access land owe no duty of care to the public except by reckless behaviour.
Thus walkers would not normally be able to claim against the occupier should they be injured.

Hugh
For a preview of the 5th edition of my book The Walker’s Handbook; Everything you Need to Know about Walking in the British Isles click on http://walkwithwestacott.com/. Then click on ‘Reviews of The Walker’s Handbook' in the Navigation panel to the right of the illustration of the cover.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications Hugh.

LS

which way

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »
Thanks Hugh,  That's more like it. A loophole in our sometimes ridiculous laws.
As well as a need for our maps,  compasses,  do we need to carry with us cattle prods for our safety and enjoyment of the countryside?
WW