Author Topic: Ordnance Survey initiative to counter jamming of GNSS signals  (Read 2510 times)

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
Ordnance Survey initiative to counter jamming of GNSS signals
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
This press release may be of interest.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/about/news/2015/gemnet-project-investigating-gnss-interference.html/

Hugh
I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. T.S.Eliot

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
Re: Ordnance Survey initiative to counter jamming of GNSS signals
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »
Sorry, the link seems not to work so here is the text of the press release.

Ordnance Survey, finding a way round a GPS road block

Ordnance Survey is teaming up with the Satellite Applications Catapult, an independent technology and innovation company, on the GEMNet project to understand the nature and extent of interference on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS).
The interference comes from a variety of sources including accidental emissions from radio and electronic equipment, as well as deliberate jamming by criminals and others wishing to block GPS trackers.

GEMNet’s primary objective is to discover the magnitude and characteristics of GNSS interference, and support UK industry in developing solutions to eliminate the effect of this interference on GNSS receivers.
The OS Technical Change and Innovation Manager, Paul Cruddace, commented: “GNSS technology, especially GPS, underpins key parts of our own operations as well as so much of our everyday lives, this project will allow OS to better understand the potential external threats of both today and tomorrow.”

Stuart Martin, CEO of the Satellite Applications Catapult, said: “The Catapult is delighted to be working with Ordnance Survey on this important project. Our Position, Navigation and Timing team (PNT) working on GEMNet will make an important contribution to our understanding and response to the interference issues.”

The project has several objectives including collating compelling and independent evidence of interference on GNSS receivers; developing an early understanding of the impact of interference on GNSS users and target industry organisations to join future phases of the project. The results gained will support industry and academic efforts to develop ways to combat threats for transport, critical infrastructure and many other applications.

Ordnance Survey is the operator of the national GNSS infrastructure (OS Net), and aims to learn more about the extent and nature of GNSS interference – both for its own internal use and other critical national infrastructures across the UK.

Hugh

ianj37

Re: Ordnance Survey initiative to counter jamming of GNSS signals
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
Very interesting Hugh.
I must admit that because all I've seen about jamming are the warnings that used? (I haven't received one for sometime now) to be issued for military exercises and I haven't found any problems with my SatMap device I hadn't appreciated the problem that jamming can cause. Interesting that OS are sponsoring the work but clearly the accuracy of GNSS is now very important to them as map accuracy depends on it. Presumably there is quite a bit being done on this by the military but we don't get to know about that!
Given that we are always reminding people who use walking sat navs not to loose basic map and compass skills, I wonder if OS surveyors (or whatever they're called) have to maintain their pre GNSS skills or whether these will be lost in a few years.

The final report will make interesting reading.