Author Topic: Mini clicker wheels  (Read 7295 times)

nigelp

• View Profile
    • New Forest Navigation
Mini clicker wheels
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
Hi
One quick one.  Does anyone remember years ago you could buy little pacing clicker's that went on the side of your compass?  Anyone sell them anymore?

Nigel

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mini clicker wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
Never been able to find a mini counter. But, have been using a standard size mechanical click tally counter for many years. Works well in all weathers, easy to use with gloves on etc. Useful for counting through large groups quickly too. Loads of sites selling them. A valuable piece of kit.
Everyday's a school day...

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »
Good suggestion Egg! have not used one before but will buy & try, where did you get your's from please?
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Lyle dont buy one from anywhere that sales nav stuff you will pay well over the odds.

Try Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tally+counters+&x=0&y=0.

You get one of them and you will soon be doing 10km legs in the desert!
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Thanks Adi, just bought one.

Without pre-judging these clickers, and probably because all familiarity is synonymous with comfort factor, my fear is accidently pushing/knocking the counter when moving whereas the lanyard with toggles is a very definite action, plus how they stand=up to Scottish weather – it will be interesting to see.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
Yeah the weather is an issue I have had one freeze up on me a couple of times when temps drop below 0C but that is normally when you are not using it, it stays warm in your hand.

Secondly because you keep clicking it can get out of control and you do start doing 10km legs as you get more confident with using it if you get carried away. 

My advise is keep your legs short and set back to zero before your next leg. I hear what your saying though although I know some people that use those electronic automatic step counters often used by people losing weight. They don't work because any movement can be recorded as a step.

A lot of guys training for selection to join the regiment use tally counters. some people forget to count or get board of it and lose count. So they do have there place but they do fill a hand so no use if using walk sticks or on a technical route.

"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »
 Tinweasel has started a good thread about homemade pace beads, and I suspect that I will stay with these.

Good recommendation from Callum about moving the beads up-over instead of down-over. You know it's nuggets of practical knowledge like this, shared with others, that will really make this site have value and work.

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
I get my tally counters from tallycounters.co.uk
As said above, use them on short legs, don't go on counting for ever and if it's more important to have a pole in your hand than a counter, it's not rocket science to count normally.
Mechanical counters are much more reliable than electronic types, less to go wrong. Its never happened to me but I have heard of them freezing when they get water inside them.
Using an electronic pedometer to measure paces is I think asking for trouble, they measure body movement.
You can get the alleged steps to go up by rocking backwards and forwards.
So I think it's a case of try things out and seeing what works best for you.
Everyday's a school day...

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »
Mechanical tally-counter arrived today so will check out over the next few weeks.

Great web-link Egg,thanks for sharing.

nigelp

• View Profile
    • New Forest Navigation
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
Great. I think Im going to put 10 cord locks on a piece of paracord but may get a tally counter to try out as well.

Nigel