Author Topic: ETREX H to GPSmap 62STC - after some help please  (Read 2828 times)

TJB1

• View Profile
ETREX H to GPSmap 62STC - after some help please
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »
Sirs / Madams / Walkers / Explorers / HELPERS / ADVISERS etc etc etc
I am after some help please and apologise if this question has been asked before that I have missed, haven't seen.
I have done most if not all of my walks using an Garmin Etrex H and have saved the walks on my Etrex. Earlier this year I bought myself the Garmin GPSmap 62STC and wondered whether I can transfer from the Etrex to GPSmap and if so how... PLEASE.
I bought the cables I needed to upload the saved on Etrex walks to Google Earths - My Places, but now don't have a clue whether I can transfer from GPS to GPS or whether I now require yet another cable to download from Google Earths - My Places to the 62STC....

Any HELP / any ADVICE / any ASSISTANCE will be of great use please

If you could also explain to the easiest possible... ... ... I would be grateful

Many thanks and kindest of regards to one and all

TBS1 (Tim)

captain paranoia

• View Profile
Re: ETREX H to GPSmap 62STC - after some help please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
I don't have either of the Garmins, but, in theory, you should be able to transfer route logs between the two.

The file type you should be looking for is .GPX, which is widely used to transfer route data between devices and applications.  If you can view your tracks in GoogleEarth, then you're half way there, and must be able to communicate with the GPS receiver.  How did you get the tracks from the Etrex into GoogleEarth, for instance?  Using conventional manual drag & drop, or did GoogleEarth do it for you?

Provided you know where on your computer the files are stored (and can browse to them using File Explorer, for instance), then you should be able to transfer files back down to the GPS receiver.

I note that the 62stc has a microSD card; that might be one other way of transferring files.

As usual with Garmin, the manual is a disgrace, and provides no useful information whatsoever about where to put tracks so they are visible.  The best is can do is on pp45-46 that tell you how to connect the USB cable, and that you can copy files between PC and GPS.

One other option might be to use http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm which will import your .GPX file, and, if you have the Garmin Communicator software on your PC, will transfer the file to your receiver.

Hopefully, you'll get a more detailed answer from someone with experience of using a Garmin receiver...

TJB1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:28:32 PM »
Captain Paranoia
Many thanks indeed for your reply. Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I thought I'd wait 1week before answering waiting to see how much help, advice & assistance I got, unfortunately not much, only yourself.

I loaded the points & tracks onto Google Earth by plugging the Etrex GPS to laptop, opened Google Earth, Tools, Import (and hey presto), that was only by luck not knowing what to do... just trying things out... I had to purchase the two cables to do it. Don't know the plug on the top of Etrex but the other end was RS232 - then RS232 cable to USB on computer.

I just took a quick snout through the booklet with the GPSMAP6stc but seem to find no mention of what to, how to, and what I need to do so.

What you have said, suggested, looks very helpful indeed and I am grateful but to me only being a computer user can't really make head or foot of it... ... I am sorry. It must be age... I have sent an email to Garmin, that was last week, but as of yet no reply.

I shall close this subject once I find out how to do so... and wait for Garmin to reply.

Kindest of Regards

Angle of Repose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:24:12 PM »
Hi Tim,
If you got the data into Google Earth, your half way there.
Check out this thread: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?14165-HELP-Need-to-transfer-info-from-OLD-GPS-to-NEW
I do know that the Garmin GPS uses .GPX files.
In the past using the Garmin s/w, I was able to put the .GPX file that I had created with my GPS on my mac, and then move to other units.  Hope this helps.
"You can't get there from here"