Author Topic: How to calibrate your compass for accuracy.  (Read 9882 times)

Speedbird

• View Profile
Re: How to calibrate your compass for accuracy.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »
Hi Adi
Well all things, no matter how large and prestigious or otherwise they become usually start with a single idea that is then carried forward. In the year 2000 I decided that I would set up a Lowland SAR Team in Essex - twelve years later it is now solidly established as a highly professional team, fully recognised by the police and other authorities as an integral part of the county's response to missing person search and rescue. It started as an idea on a piece of paper, penned while I was sitting one evening at my dining room table, the kind of way most ideas come about I guess.

It really is as simply and as difficult as saying "let's do it" and having the commitment to really have a go at it. People buy into a vision and if we in this forum can create such a vision then it will happen, others will join us and there won't be much that can stop it. These are my thoughts for what they are worth.

One thing is certain, these monuments to navigation need to be preserved before someone get the idea of turning them into aggregate for repairing footpaths! Once they have gone they've gone.

A few years ago a society was set up to preserve and record milestones. What a great idea, these lumps of concrete/stone or whatever still stand alongside many of our roads in the UK and some of them have a real history. It really is excellent to see that now there's a group caring for them, recording their history and restoring them - see http://www.milestonesociety.co.uk/  A similiar idea to the one we are discussing here I would venture to suggest!

Have you had a look here  http://www.trigpointinguk.com/

Like minded thinkers it seems. Excellent Android app available as well.

John
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:59:16 PM by Speedbird »
Regards
John

John-C

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Just found this....   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-13130526 ....trigpointing UK guys & first trig point.

Rescuerkw

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Well how about that - looks like it's already being taken care of - great stuff! I wonder if anyone has thought to go through the process of applying for some kind of protection order for all trig points to have them designated at historic monuments. I know the history is relatively recent, but it is unique and a physical record of where we have come from with mapping and navigation. Perhaps those who run the Trigpointing UK site will know? I think I'll email them to find out.

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
I have emailed English Heritage and asked what plans they have but they only cover England if we were to try to get protection then we would have to make representation to each country.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Rescuerkw

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
Good point Adi, not sure how we go about that, any idea?