Author Topic: Backup Emergency Communications  (Read 21158 times)

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Emergency Communications
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
Yes, as a means of signalling, first time I read it like that....it just got a place in the "Survival Brain" :-) really really good.

Adi, you and Ivo should get together, you are both survival experts. Swinging the lightstick is pure genious ;)
Ivo

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
Callum said "Seems to me that PAYG validity is an important issue, so I am going to copy & paste and write to all the network providers, I will publish my findings here"

Just to let all know that Vodafone, at least, are still terminating unused PAYG numbers. We have bought a 'big button' mobile for my elderly Mother-in-Law with our contacts pre-programmed in so, in an emergency, all she has to do is press 1,2 or 3 to get to us.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure just how long it sat unused but, when she did come to try it recently, it was just dead. After contacting Vodafone, we were informed of their policy of terminating unused PAYG SIMs.

I don't like it but I suppose you should always read the small print. Worse still though was the fact that we had initially purchased £20 of credit, very little of which was used, and this disappeared into the ether when the SIM was terminated! No amount of discussion would persuade them to reinstate it!!

Lesson learned, M-i-L now makes a brief call every month or so to avoid this problem happening again.

I'd be interested to hear of any PAYG providers who do NOT terminate through non-usage (and confiscate your money >:()!! 

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
It's cold comfort (if any comfort at all) -- but in Belgium all the operators that I know do the same (as you describe) for the prepaid SIMs.

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
Think that these guys should have joined the Forum and read the advice re not depending exclusively on electronic nav devices and the need for back-up!

Seems they were depending entirely on a mobile 'phone which proceeded to run out of battery!

Can't believe anyone with an ounce of sense would have not realised that mobile phone batteries don't last long and not carry some form of back up power.... not to mention that it appears that they didn't even have a map & compass between them!  :-\

I hope they got charged for this eminently avoidable rescue. Numpties.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/climbers-attempting-14-peaks-snowdonia-2154378

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
'He added that none of the men had mountain walking experience and that their kit was “very limited”'.

The use of the word 'climbers' to describe these people concerns me a little...  I always assume that this sort of naming implies some experience in the activity.  Whilst I have a little experience of actual climbing (as opposed to hillwalking), I wouldn't call myself 'a climber'.

Still, they'd done pretty well to do the first 13 peaks (assuming they had, of course; maybe they just wandered about a lot...).

Ogwen do have a bit of a reputation for negative publicity.  Maybe they just have to deal with more numpties than other MRTs...

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
Unbelievable.  Well not really.  They are not the first bunch of t****rs to try that stupid trick in all its aspects and neither will they be the last.

Yr Wyddfa, the Welsh name for Snowdon translates as the tumulus or tomb.  The origins of the name are with Arthurian legend.  Given the number of people who die up there each year then Yr Wyddfa is to my mind an appropriate name which screams its own health warning to idiots and the experienced sane alike.

TREAT IT WITH RESPECT.  And never forget the Boy Scout's motto "Be Prepared".

p.s Just spent last week in Snowdonia my self.   And I was not walking.  In fact I was on a bulk buy of train rides on the numerous narrow gauge railways that infest the region.  A very worthwhile way to see the scenery from a different perspective.  It seemed very strange not to be walking.  Every time the train passed a footpath I kept saying to my self I should be on that (huffing and puffing) not sitting here relaxing whilst the engine was doing the huufing and puffing.

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
Of course we have to take newspaper reports with a pinch of salt sometimes but I guess that there's at least some truth in the report.

Ignoring whether they overestimated their own skills or underestimated the task they set themselves, to venture out without a back up way of navigating demonstrates incredible naivety.

Happily, it sounds as if everyone escaped relatively unscathed (wounded pride excluded perhaps) and, hopefully, these at least have learned a very necessary lesson and may help others to avoid making the same mistake in future.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
Just had another thought about this one.  CP stated:  "Still, they'd done pretty well to do the first 13 peaks (assuming they had, of course; maybe they just wandered about a lot...)."

I guess it was the later.  Plas-Y-Brenin do a periodic event with qualified mountain guide leader called the Snowdon 14 Peaks Challenge http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses/hill-walking-holidays/fourteen-peaks-challenge-2/  This is a very full on 5 days covering all peaks over 3,000 feet in height.  (It was called the 13 peaks challenge until recent surveying activity re classified one of the just sub 3000 foot peaks etc etc).

They also do the Paddy Buckley Challenge with with qualified mountain guide leader of course.  http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses/hill-walking-holidays/the-paddy-buckley-challenge-3/  Again a very full on 5 days covering 61 miles and 47 peaks!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:25:05 AM by Lost Soul »

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
Well, anyone can attempt the Welsh 3000s at any time; it doesn't have to be an 'organised challenge'.  And the challenge is usually to complete in under 24 hours.  The record is 4 hrs 19 mins...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_3000s

What I was debating was whether they'd actually managed to climb the first 13 peaks, and only got lost on the last, or whether they'd actually just been wandering around lost the entire time...

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »
we did the Welsh 3000s at one time and it took us much longer than 4hrs 19min, in fact more than double the time! To my mind, newspapers sensationalise, to the point of printing mistruths and mountains are dangerous and this last reason is I guess that is why we do these things ;)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
A provider who not obnly is prepared to spell out exactly what to do to keep your PAYG SIM active but gives you are free Alcatel 10.10 mobile phone from T-Mobile when you buy £10 credit!

As long as you make a call or send a text within every 180 day period, your credit won’t expire and your SIM will stay live. So just make a note to text on it once every five months, just to be sure. At £0.14/text your credit is going to last you for 30 years!

It is not just a basic phone, it actually has some good features, such as an FM radio. But the most imporatn is it’ll stay on standby for 250 hours and if left switched off the battery will still have charge after 6 months.

Personally I don't think it should be a brain decision, if you don't already carry a spare mobile phone, get this deal!
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
These are such great value and such a worthwhile item we bought half a dozen as stocking fillers for our families this Christmas - Great Recommendation:)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
GR8 idea Pete Mck, ordered them all today - Cheers  :D
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato