Author Topic: Etrex H help  (Read 7313 times)

collydug

• View Profile
Etrex H help
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »
i have had  an etrex for ages now and always just used it self contained but i would now like to download GPX files onto it and vice versa. To this end I bought a data cable from ebay and a serial adapter from another ebayer, when i tried to set it up it I cannot get my laptop to find the device, inital probelm seems to be not finding the serial device.

heeeeeeellllppppppp

colin

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Etrex H help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
Hi Collydog (and welcome), SilkyLemon had lots of issues with connecting his etrex h to his pc and got it fixed with help from this forums members, check out this thread:

http://micronavigation.com/forum/index.php?topic=468.msg3331#msg3331

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »
How are you getting on with this Colin?

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
Colin, have you got a copy of the 6 page article that I wrote for Trail Magazine last year on how to set-up the eTrex H? If not, I will ping you a copy.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

collydug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »
yeah got article, cannot get pc to recognise etrex at all, wondering if it is the data cable. I have posted in newbie section if anyone near east kilbride can try my cables & etrex with what they have to rule it out. really getting me down this. also tried it on daughters laptop this am, serial adapter loaded up no prob, settings show serial to usb device working fine, loaded easy gps no device found and made sure all port settings good too. tried thru google earth gps, still no device found, also loaded garmin communicator and followed instructions, yup still no device found.............................crying now lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:21:20 PM by collydug »

Steve Lumber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
Can you use 1.5 volt Lithium batteries in the Etrex H. The manual does not mention them.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
Welcome Steve  :)

The eTRex H will use both types of Lithium battery: disposable & rechargeable. Personally I carry an eTrex H with Lithium disposables inserted but with a this piece of plastic separating the battery anode from the +ve terminal in the unit as a backup navigational tool. The battery storage life (I prefer Energizer batteries) is over a decade, usually 15 years. If I need to use the eTrex H I simply remove the plastic inserts.

Couple of points worth noting:
1. In winter I use Lithium rechargeable batteries because they work well at low temperatures.
2. Some satnav screens, such as the 60csx,  will freeze, the whole screen darkens, if new Lithium disposable batteries are inserted.  This can be overcome by using the batteries in a head torch for 10 minutes.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Silkylemon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
Hello Colin
A few forum members helped me find a solution to a similar problem a couple of months ago which continues to work very well for me. Assuming the hardware you’re using is not at fault, I suggest you try the same approach. This is only a work around. It may or may not work for you, but if it does, it will achieve the outcome you’re looking for i.e. transferring data to and from your eTrex H.
Begin by downloading Garmin’s “Mapsource” software from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 then proceed as follows:

To load data onto eTrex H:

1. Save the files you wish to use (Waypoint/Route/Track file(s)) to your PC.

2. If these files are not in the “GPX” file format, you must first convert them (so they can be opened in Mapsource). A Google search should bring up several free software programs which will enable you to do this.
(N.B. If your files are in Google Earth’s “KML” or “KMZ” format, you can convert them very easily to the GPX format following the instructions given here: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7358927_convert-kmz-file-gpx.html however this software only converts from KML/KMZ, so again, for other file types a Google search should help you to find suitable conversion software. Other forum members may also be able to point you in the right direction regarding this.)

3. Open Mapsource and connect your eTrex to the PC with the cables you have (don’t forget to load the driver software that should have been supplied with your USB to Serial Converter cable).

4. Power up the Etrex.

5. Open the GPX files in Mapsource using "File"/"Open". A graphic representation of the data should appear in the main window.
6. Click “Transfer”/”Send To Device” at the top of the Mapsource screen. A window should open allowing you to select the eTrex by clicking “Find Device”. If your eTrex H doesn’t appear in the drop down list immediately, allow 10 to 15 seconds for it to do so, and then click “Send”. The data will then be loaded onto your Satnav. If the eTrex isn’t found after the first attempt, click “Find Device” again, and allow another 15 or so seconds. I’ve found that it’s sometimes necessary to repeat this a few times before Mapsource sees the eTrex.

To save data from eTrex to PC:

1. Open Mapsource and connect your eTrex to the PC with the cables you have.

2. Power up the Etrex.

3. Click “Transfer”/”Receive From Device” at the top of the screen. A window should open allowing you to select the data you wish to save to your PC (i.e. Waypoints, Routes, Tracks). Select as appropriate, and then click “Find Device”. If your eTrex H doesn’t appear in the drop down list immediately, allow 10 to 15 seconds for it to do so, and then click “Receive”. Again, more than one attempt may be necessary as described above. A graphic representation of the data should appear in the main window.

4. Click “File”/”Save as...” at the top of the screen. The “Save As” window will open allowing you to name the file, choose where you wish to save it, and for your purposes select the GPX file format from the “Save as type” drop down list.

5. Click “Save” to complete the process.

The data can then be loaded into other mapping software from the folder you saved it to, or back to your eTrex (via Mapsource as described above) whenever you wish.

Best regards

Silkylemon.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
If you need to convert satnav-related files between different formats, then GPSBabel is a handy freeware: http://www.gpsbabel.org/. It can handle all the formats that I know of.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
I will second that Boogyman plus it is very easy to use.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »
Any luck yet CollyDog?

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
I use "EasyGPS" to transfer .gpx files to my Etrex H  (get it here... http://easygps.com/ )
It's free and work well enough

I create my .gpx files using Satmap Xpedition (but obviously they can be created anywhere) then it's a very simple 2 step process to OPEN the .gpx file from my computer then to SEND it to the Etrex once connected. Works a dream and couldn't be much simpler.

I have no idea on the other features of EasyGPS as I only use as described above but I'm sure there are some (there's also a "pro" version you pay for but I don't know what's involved with that either.

Perhaps worth a try if still struggling?

cheers,
S.

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Thx Batsey, downloaded free version last night and by the end of the evening was easily transferring my .gpx files - good recommendation:)