Author Topic: Hello from Moray  (Read 7452 times)

Oakleaf

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Profile on LinkedIn
Hello from Moray
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
With what will undoubtedly be an audible sigh of relief from Mr Brotherton - who I suspect believes I'm stalking him ( pun intended ) - all set up and logged in.  I do apologise to Admin for the hassle in getting thing resolved and thank you for your patience.

I'm Andy, self-employed, working mainly in Deer Management - and deer related training in particular.  I also do what is now termed Bushcraft, but am old enough to remember when it was just called  'being outside'  ;)  and formal training was having read Anthony Greenbank's Survival for Young People!

My current work is really just a natural progression of a life long interest in most things outdoors that's taken me through training as a Geologist, ending up as an Accountant with the DTi to now delivering deer stalker training. It was a convoluted route to an obvious place looking back!

This forum is  a great resource and I hope I can contribute in a meaningful way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:28:20 PM by Oakleaf »

captain paranoia

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Moray
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
>  and formal training was having read Anthony Greenbank's Survival for Young People!

Hi Andy, great book; it kept me entertained when I wasn't running around the woods of the local army training ground...

I've deleted your other account application to 'keep things tidy'...

Oakleaf

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Profile on LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
CP thank you.  Genuine apology for complicating things and thanks for your efforts. Went with this account as seemed the best choice.

It was interesting that Lyle called me ( only to VM ) and felt obliged to defend both the Goatee and Maureen O'Hara  :) - I suspect he has a measure of my sense of humour already!

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
Hi Oakleaf, welcome to a great forum for all things navigational.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
Hi Oakleaf - check your junk email folder, I suspect there may be an email from me in there for you ;)

It is strange how we travel through our careers to a final position we could have seen at the beginning if only we had looked hard enough, probably a similar story for you too Oakleaf,

As a kid as soon as I got back from school I was out ranging on the Lakeland Fells and had the benefit of a father who being a hill sheep farmer had taught me much about hill craft and looking back I realise what freedom me and my brother enjoyed, very different for the kids of today, including my own, where parents can be over-protective. The Army seemed a natural choice but the countryside of County Antrim was not a place I roamed free;)

Today, running the centre which gives youngsters, from all walks of life, a chance to challenge themselves in the fells is where I wanted to be at 18, my journey took me 20 years to reach my destination. Maybe there is a need for a career navigation book, any takers?

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
Welcome Oakleaf to the best land-navigation forum on the web, certainly the politest:)

If anyone has written the career-navigation book Cal I would appreciate a copy of it, being much younger than you are I could save time;)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
Indeed, welcome aboard Oakleaf.

Pete, forget the book because I guarantee whatever your plans they will need to change and adapt to circumstances on the way. Life is predictable, in that it is always unpredictable, and this is what makes it so exciting.

In this vein, Happy New Year everybody  :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Oakleaf

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Profile on LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
Thank you for the great welcome guys - and of course Happy New Year!

Callum - I've double checked on the Yahoo mail box; dont usually look in the Spam bin- it was an eye opener  :-[, but no trace. If message was other than the joining instructions, please can you resend.  I'm in now so no issue on 'lost in space' e mail at all.  As I understand it Lyle has a New Year Resolution to cease punishment beatings in any event...

Per your second line - very well put, I had wanted to put exactly that sentiment in my intro. Looking back it was blindingly obvious what I was going to end up doing from about age 7.  Though genuinely wouldn't have missed the ride - good and bad parts.

Pete McK - quite aside from a. subject that interests me, b. a topic that Lyle seems to cover in a pretty unique and enjoyable way ( I dont do creeping/ fawning/ faint praise - so please read such sentences as just honest opinion ), c. possibly me, but very few public figures on outdoor front seem to get right balance of freedom and safety.  There's only one TV Survival 'personality' that mentions PLB type devices - frankly striking me as bizarre  and to pick up your theme d.  this forum is incredibly useful and above all friendly/ polite.

Its rather saddening that the latter element is actually noteworthy really.  I manage a few online persona for the business on relevant 'fora' and its like being in a war zone at times.  Many in this business actively avoid these places for that very reason - but that risks letting the internet thugs unduly influence new comers and not least public perception of the field.

So very long winded way of saying its a great forum you have here!

Lyle - thank you in general. 

In part from what I do professionally and as a personal outlook,  I like to learn - its a journey not a destination etc etc.  So with something of a bath tap moment ( separate story I'll relay if not heard before ) I read your idea about using a thumb as a range finder with interest.   For all the field range/ rifle work I've done, never come across that before.  So took the opportunity to test it yesterday whilst out with two South African clients. Amazed - possibly because my chubby thumb and weirdly short arms are perfectly proportioned, but it works incredibly well. Out to 500 metres ( useful for planning stalk in - for deer stalking we are seeking to get within 200 metres max for the actual shot ) and compared against my Leica LRF the system works perfectly for my needs. Now placed firmly in my 'bag of tricks'!

Have a good new year everyone.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
Oakleaf wrote - - possibly me, but very few public figures on outdoor front seem to get right balance of freedom and safety.  There's only one TV Survival 'personality' that mentions PLB type devices - frankly striking me as bizarre

As your starter for 10  :)  right balance of freedom and safety  This crops up in passing on the forum from time to time and we all have our opinions and limits based on our experience, training and levels of intrepidness.  Would genuinely appreciate to her your expanded views.

And in respect of PLBs, just for clarification as your post doesn't make it clear, are you for or against them?

Thanks

Oakleaf

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Profile on LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »
LS

I've just posed a question in a separate post about PLB/Spot/ In Reach etc which will cover some of the ground.

New to form and dont want to tread on toes - is it ok to respond here within Intro thread or should I post elsewhere?  That question posed, I'll type away and ask Admin to move it if required? Hope that OK.

1. VERY ( capitals intended ) pro PLB. Other post gives some better detail.  Seem to me to just be plain common sense. However, painfully aware that common sense can at times prove to be anything but!  So welcome feed back from the MRT/SRT experienced members.
I'm principally a deer stalker. The safety record on that is fantastic, but one of the wisest teachers I ever met only had one tenet 'what if'.

2. That leads into the old saw of freedom/ safety equation.  The 'freedom' of the outdoors is a big draw to me in terms of what I do professionally and personally.  That cuts in many directions, but includes a good measure of self reliance - and not least responsibility.  I think that it likely something we all share.

I can fully appreciate the outlook of a person out to test themselves and push limits - the challenge if you like.  That could be a simply bimble through a forest park to free climbing in the Alps - its an individual thing.

In terms of adventure - I got a lot of that out of my system in previous lives!  :)  Particularly as a professional I am very conscious of my responsibility on the safety front - in both terms of wandering around with firearms, knives etc, dealing with large wild animals and the need to return paying clients back safely if you're going to collect a tip!   8)  There are challenges and risk a plenty to manage, without any need nor desire to push boundaries.  Whenever I'm driving the Argocat colleagues start whistling the 'little old lady' tune from the Lady Killers - which suits me just fine.

I detail all that just to set context for the concept of outdoor freedom for me. 

On the flip side you have the people that by profession or devotion put themselves in the position of responding should I get into difficulty. Ultimately they make a choice to do that.  And yet whenever I hear that put forward as 'justification' by some herbert who got into trouble through ignorance or silly mistake it always rings as fatuous.  I can never get out of my head that a.  my actions may impact upon others directly and b. those same actions may mean people have to spend time helping me and as a result are not available to help another.

Long winded way of saying that self reliance should include consideration of others. I suppose the word is consequence.

3. Balance - I doubt there ever will be - there are too many imponderables. Nature only ever sits in balance on the BBC  ;), in reality nature is dynamic and that applies to this topic too. But I would argue that without spice life and society ultimately tends toward bland.  And tht bland isnt a passive state - its one ultimately of atrophy. Those that push boundaries perform a crucial role in society as a whole - but not to the exclusion of meriting a clip round the ear at times!  :)

4. The only TV 'Survival' Personalty that has - I think - really mentioned PLBs etc is Les Stroud.  Several big names have published recent works with kit lists that do not include any form of modern distress beacon.  That sits uneasy with me in terms of how it potentially reflects on their view of the topic they instruct within the commercial context of it.

'This weeks show - we drop Brad Bicep on the Skeleton Coast where he will seek shelter, conserve energy/ water and activate his PLB' - its just not going to syndicate is it.  ;D

LS - your question receive and hopefully understood in good spirit etc and hopefully reply reads the same.

Andy

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
Andy,

Thanks very informative.  I think you are going to be great asset to this forum.

Oakleaf

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Profile on LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
Crikey - that's very kind of you - or maybe Machiavellian?  ;) - the pressures really on now to live up to that! :)

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
A somewhat late welcome from Belgium Andy -- and best wishes to all members !