Author Topic: Cloud movement and direction  (Read 28330 times)

MoonMan

• View Profile
Re: Cloud movement and direction
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »
I take note of cloud direction, versus ground wind, if either be available. Today's upper level wind usually is tomorrow's ground wind. Comes in handy for how to pitch a shelter, overnight. Buy-Ballot's Law is handy to heed: Northern Hemisphere version, with wind at back, Low Pressure Cell is on Left & ahead; Southern Hemisphere version: Low Pressure Cell is on Right & ahead. The stronger the wind, the closer the cell.
Keeping Track of where Here is in relation to There.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
We used to have a small booklet, A5 size, that had colour glossy photographs, each page,  of different cloud formations and instructions on each of these pages about which way to face, regarding wind direction versus cloud movement. It was a really handy booklet and very reliable in its forecasts, however its owner was not so reliable and not only lost it but can't even remember what it was called ::) Can anyone remember it possible title?

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
Callum

I have two books that cover the subject:

Mountain Weather by David Pedgley, Cicerone, 2nd ed 1997. (There may be a later edition)
Mountain Weather for Climbers by David J. Unwin, Cordee, 1978. (Cordee has cesed publishing and is now a book distributor)

Hugh
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:10:25 PM by Hugh Westacott »

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »
Cal, I suspect you might be referring to Simon Keelings book - The Pocket Weather Forecaster I have checked it is still available and it is a great read :)

Hugh, I don't know these titles, which would you recommend please?

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
Pete

Unwin's book was published in 1978, has not been updated and is out of print

The 2nd ed of Pedgley's book was published in 2009. The author is an OBE (Order of the British Empire) and has worked s a weather observer, forecaster, and instructor in the Meteorological Office so he should know his onions.

I have only a passing interest in the weather but, judging from the publication date and the numerous photographs of cloud formations, I'm inclined to the opinion that Pedgley has written a more useful book. Howevr, it does not match the description of the book that Callum had in mind.

Hugh

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »
Spot on Pete, many thx:) I was given my dog eared copy by a colleague who was retiring and had just started to get into the habit of using for forecasting with it, when I left it on some fell – I think I need lanyards for everything nowadays

MoonMan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »
Collins GEM WEATHER photoguide covers just about everything that is seen in the Sky by way of Clouds & other phenomena; was UKP 3.99, fits into the pocket
Keeping Track of where Here is in relation to There.