Author Topic: pen[cil]s for waterproof paper (not fablon)  (Read 2842 times)

JK

• View Profile
pen[cil]s for waterproof paper (not fablon)
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
There is some useful advice here for drawing on fablon (or "transpaseal" as british mountain orienteers call it) coated maps such that the markings last a good while, but can stil be removed afterwards.

for example in
http://micronavigation.com/forum/index.php?topic=120.msg585

But how about waterproof papers such as those used by the excellent BMC/Harveys maps? Or also on the various waterproof notepads you can buy these days.

What can write on those when they are wet, what stays on best and which don't take off map ink when removed?

ianj37

Re: pen[cil]s for waterproof paper (not fablon)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
In my limited experience:
Writing on a Harvey map needs something that is waterproof and 'soft' e.g. wax pencils or permanent OHP markers work fine. Easy to remove with an alcohol wipe. The key point of course is to remember to remove nay marks made after use. I remember once spending quite a while looking for a boundary that was clearly marked on my map but on closer inspection turned out to be a fine black line I'd drawn the year before and forgetten about !!
Writing on waterproof paper should be possible with anything that will write on paper BUT I found that when using anything that was 'sharp'  it was easy to perforates the paper so soft pencils rather than HB pencils and gel ballpoints rather than normal ballpoint pens - this of course could be down to the paper I was using!!
I have to confess I never tried to remove the writing from waterproof paper so I can help with that.

Ian

JK

• View Profile
Re: pen[cil]s for waterproof paper (not fablon)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
Are you recommending different writing implements for the waterproof paper used on BMC/Harveys Maps and the waterproof paper in the waterproof notepads?