Author Topic: The maps transforming how we interact with the world  (Read 5233 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
The maps transforming how we interact with the world
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
Interesting item from the Beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24067745
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

captain paranoia

• View Profile
Re: The maps transforming how we interact with the world
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
What we really want* is 3d augmented reality mapping goggles that present the terrain and route directly into your vision, aligned with your natural vision...  Something I've been suggesting since 1997...

* or do we...?  'follow the yellow brick road' is only good if the brick road is correct...  Garbage in, garbage out...

Given accurate 3D data, and details of the surface vegetation, etc, we could design a system to guide us through the landscape, based on any number of optimisation selections; time, energy, pretty views, etc.

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
The 'what three words' sounds a nice was of specifying the location of a given point, but, unless you know the word sequences used to define the scheme, not so good for specifying the point next to it...

I guess it could just be a big lookup table; it's just data storage, and that's cheap these days.  Essentially, a bigger version of the OS alpha prefix for grid references, but each square is 3m rather than 100km, and there are lots more letters...

Paul Hitchen

• View Profile
    • Jonty's Cottage
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
My bet is that google glass will revolutionise lives as much as smartphones have. Maybe in a few generations kids on Duke of Ed expeditions will only use Sat nav in google glass? My Uncle sadly no longer with us was a Nav in the RAF on Lancs and Shacks. He used to teach me to shoot the midday sun using a sextant in his back garden. Everyone should be able to do this he used to say. If he could see sat navs today I wonder what he'd think!

By the way, if we can reserve our own three words as part of a new mapping system, please can I reserve 'take me pub' to know my house by?  ;D

captain paranoia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
Yes, things like Google glasses that provide a non-obscuring data presentation mechanism are ideal for augmented reality.  You do need to be able to track head attitude to provide good AR, though...

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
Are these similar to my beer goggles;)

Paul Hitchen

• View Profile
    • Jonty's Cottage
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
Even better Callum. I have it on good authority from Google (not really) that the next generation version will be able to generate a holographic image of Kyle for you to interact with right in front of you, and she will even laugh at my jokes as though I was funny and look at me as though I was attractive.  The head up display Sat Nav will also detect that you have been at the pub and automatically have a man at pub button, which when pressed, will lead you home and project a big green arrow above your house saying ' this one' and a big red arrow over the neighbour's saying 'not this one'.  At last man is finding a use for this technology stuff.   Sadly though in a a generation's time, I bet we will be the old guys with a map and compass in the loft and great grand kids who look at Granddad's map like I look at a sextant today.  Their DOE exped route will be loaded onto their google glass with a direction arrow projected ahead of them, and so the wheel turns.