Author Topic: Reversed polarity silva Compass  (Read 21049 times)

Victorj

• View Profile
Reversed polarity silva Compass
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
Hi all, I'm a newbie so hello to everyone.

Don't know how but my Silva compasses has reversed poles. I think Silva will fix it if I send it back. Has anyone done this? What does it cost? I assume its not something I can do myself without special equipment (magnet)?

It's a bit of a coincidence that the Silva went wrong on the day I ordered a Recta!

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:35:06 AM by Victorj »

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Reversed polarity
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
Welcome aboard Victorj  :)

The compass needle needs 'stroking' with a permanent magnet,  many outdoor stores will do this for you,  my local Tiso will do it for free.

More importantly you need to try and work out how it occurred so you don't repeat it.  The time it happened to a compass of mine was when it was in the door pocket of my vehicle next to the speaker.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Victorj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
Thanks Lyle, I'll try my local outdoor stores. I not sure how it happened as I'm fairly careful about where I keep my compass. Obviously I carry the usual stuff like phone, Sat Nav, spare batteries, car keys etc and try to keep these separate from the compass. Anyway could contact with any of these cause the problem as opposed to just temporary interference with the magnetic needle?

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
Mobile phone speakers can for sure Victor.

Victorj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks Callum.

Have tried Cotswolds but they couldnt help. Will try one or two more and or ring Silva. Anybody know which outdoor stores will correct polarity?

Victorj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »
Ended up ringing Silva and they will re magnetise compass free of charge. The person I spoke to was very helpful immediately offering to fix my compass.

Had to hunt around a bit to find their contact details but here they are for use if anyone has a similar problem.

Silva Ltd. 
Unit 7, Elphinstone Square
Deans Industrial Estate Livingston, EH54 8RG
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: + 44 - (0)1506 419 555 Fax: + 44 - (0)1506 415 906
info@silva.ltd.uk

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Reversed polarity silva Compass
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
Thanks VictorJ (and welcome). I have a couple of compasses kicking around in my desk drawer that I have been meaning to get this done to for a while :)

Victorj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
Got my repaired compass back from Silva. It took about 10 days but appears this is longer than normal as they apologised for delay! No charge and they paid the return postage. Excellent!

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »
Thank you for this Victorj:) I have now sent the two compasses from my drawer to the address you provided.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
Had a few emails asking if reversing the polarity, to correct it, is possible at home. The answer is yes it is very straight forward to do and all you need is a small strong magnet, Neodymium Permanent Strong Rare Earth Magnets are ideal for this. You can buy a 10x10mm Cylinder Neodymium Magnets for £1.50, delivered.

To correct the reversed polarity of a compass:
1.   Hold the compass so the needle is horizontal.
2.   Take the Neodymium Magnet and using the south end of this magnet flick it outwards along the north end (red) of the needle. 
3.   Repeat until the compass needle points magnetic north again.
4.   Compare the corrected compass with one that you know is working correctly, but do not put them side by side, they should be at least 500mm apart.

Victorj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
Thanks Lyle, that's useful to know. Where can a single magnet be bought for £1.50? I have done a quick search but can only see sales of packs rather than single.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:01:28 PM by Victorj »

John-C

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »
I think it must be catching (or the earths magnetic field has changed more than normal!)....I do a check on my compass most times I go out.  It was OK last week, but on Sunday - yes, it was reversed (old spare one, stuffed in the lid, was OK though!).

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »
"Posted by: Victorj
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »Insert Quote
Thanks Lyle, that's useful to know. Where can a single magnet be bought for £1.50? "

I found it on eBay for £1.42 delivered :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-3-8-x-3-8-Cylinder-10x10mm-Neodymium-Magnets-Refrigerator-Permanent-N35-/400422619219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d3b0c4853

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
Here's a dumb question, I bet... but I looked at the picture of the magnet on ebay, and I wonder how you know its north end from its south end?

(another question: is anyone thinking about oredring such a magnet? if so, are there enough candidates to buy a "10-pack"?)

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
Hi Boogyman, at this price I don’t think it would be worthwhile re-posting, they seem so incredibly cheap.