Author Topic: Garmin 62 Route Names - I need help!  (Read 2648 times)

ianj37

Garmin 62 Route Names - I need help!
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
Ok, so I've bought my Garmin 62S. The learning curve with the brief instructions provided by Garmin is a little steep but I have been greatly helped by the the section in UNM and Lyle's videos so thanks for those!

But I'm struggling with what may seem to be rather insignificant problems (and perhaps they are) with route names. Google is no help and I would really appreciate some advice as to whether I'm expecting too much, doing it wrong or just not in the right mindset for using a GPS.

1) Garmin Basecamp appears to allow a route name to be up to 50 characters. To illustrate my problem I have two routes in Basecamp:

a) from Edale to Kinder Downfall  via Jacob's ladder -  trying to combine brevity and clarity I've call it Edale-Kinder Dwnfll v Jacobs Lddr.
b) from Edale to Kinder Downfall via Grindsbrook Clough - abbreviated to Edale-Kinder Dwnfall v GBK Cl.

Both these look OK in Basecamp but when using the FIND function on the 62s only the first 19 characters are displayed so they both show as Edale-Kinder Dwnfall.  I know that I can look at the route on the 62s map and see which way it's going but as the route is initially displayed on what I think is the Global map and certainly not the OS 1:25k I have loaded I then have to zoom in and then move the map to find the route - is it really this complex?
Is there away to reduce the font size or use more than one line on the 62s so that more of the name can be seen?

2) This one I admit is far from vital but whilst navigating a route is it possible to display the route name? It displays above the map after the route has been selected from FIND but before GO is selected, but I can't find a way to see this information once the route has started.

What do you think and indeed how do you Garmin 60 and 62 users get round these apparent limitations?

Many thanks

Ian
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:44:57 AM by ianj37 »

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Garmin 62 Route Names - I need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
ianj37 wrote (my comments in blue) Ok, so I've bought my Garmin 62S. The learning curve with the brief instructions provided by Garmin Their instruction booklet makes good kindling ;) is a little steep but I have been greatly helped by the the section in UNM and Lyle's videos so thanks for those!

But I'm struggling with what may seem to be rather insignificant problems (and perhaps they are) with route names. Google is no help and I would really appreciate some advice as to whether I'm expecting too much, doing it wrong or just not in the right mindset for using a GPS.

1) Garmin Basecamp appears to allow a route name to be up to 50 characters. To illustrate my problem I have two routes in Basecamp:

a) from Edale to Kinder Downfall  via Jacob's ladder -  trying to combine brevity and clarity I've call it Edale-Kinder Dwnfll v Jacobs Lddr.
b) from Edale to Kinder Downfall via Grindsbrook Clough - abbreviated to Edale-Kinder Dwnfall v GBK Cl.

Both these look OK in Basecamp but when using the FIND function on the 62s only the first 19 characters are displayed so they both show as Edale-Kinder Dwnfall.  I know that I can look at the route on the 62s map and see which way it's going but as the route is initially displayed on what I think is the Global map and certainly not the OS 1:25k I have loaded I then have to zoom in and then move the map to find the route - is it really this complex? Yes
Is there away to reduce the font size or use more than one line on the 62s so that more of the name can be seen? Not that I know of.

2) This one I admit is far from vital but whilst navigating a route is it possible to display the route name? It displays above the map after the route has been selected from FIND but before GO is selected, but I can't find a way to see this information once the route has started. I think yes, there is an option to display this on the screen but it is hidden somewhere in set up - I will see if i can find it for you:)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

ianj37

Re: Garmin 62 Route Names - I need help!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »
Thanks Lyle. Now I'll stop looking for a way to display more of the route title and start working on meaningful abbreviations for route names!

It seems really strange that given the presence of the rocker button Garmin haven't allowed the route name to be scrolled.  From what I've found so far the 62s seems mostly to be really good and well thought out but then has quite a few obvious 'would be nice' functions missing - but I guess all these things take development time etc and push up costs.