Author Topic: Hello Forum Members  (Read 1734 times)

Barry G

• View Profile
Hello Forum Members
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Hello from Albany, New York! I'm 74 years old and have never take a recreational hike in my life, but have taken several mandated by the U.S. Marine Corp. While I'm only 74 my legs are 100 so I'm not a hiker, but I love reading about it and I have a vivid imagination. I just purchased Lyle's book and a Suunto M3G compass with several maps of the Adarondack Mt. Range here in New York and every day I sit here in my home and plan a hike, take baring, get lost and get found etc., so you guys keep doing what you're doing and allow me to easedope and take these trips with you. Ok?

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Forum Members
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:04:37 AM »
Welcome Barry :-) From Holland.
Ivo

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
Inspirational story to us all Barry and truth be known, we all walk in regions we are never likely to visit ;)

Are the US Suunto M3Gs similar to the European, only marked with different scales?

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
Great to have you on board Old Soldier :)

Your contributions and experience I am sure will be invaluable to other forum members.

A couple of weeks ago I was working with some of your fellow countrymen at FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency – tasked with disaster mitigation, preparedness, response, recovery and education) who were being deployed to your State for Frankenstorm. The level of planning and readiness that your Administration undertook was the best I have ever seen.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
Hello Barry G, good to have another international perspective added to this forum and I am personally looking forward to learning from your years of experience. Welcome :)

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
Hello from Albany, New York! I'm 74 years old and have never take a recreational hike in my life, but have taken several mandated by the U.S. Marine Corp. While I'm only 74 my legs are 100 so I'm not a hiker, but I love reading about it and I have a vivid imagination. I just purchased Lyle's book and a Suunto M3G compass with several maps of the Adarondack Mt. Range here in New York and every day I sit here in my home and plan a hike, take baring, get lost and get found etc., so you guys keep doing what you're doing and allow me to easedope and take these trips with you. Ok?

Barry

Thanks to all for your warm welcome! Callum, I've heard that "Wisdom is the byproduct of longevity", soooooo that by default makes me very wise. But, I confess that I know very little about land navigation, but wait until I get my hands on Lyle's book and then I'll be able to "kick some butt" and hold my own with you "KIDS" (lol)! Pete, I've found when I use my imagination there is no limit. You guys have to deal with the real deal out there in the wilderness, me, I live in a world of zero degrees declination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lyle, thanks for making my life and world so much more, by this web site, your book and videos and helping our Nation in our time of need.
"What is, is best"!

B
"What  is, is best"

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
And another welcome Barry -- from Belgium this time.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
Welcome Barry.  Great forum to have joined.

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
Same from me Barry...welcome to the Forum!
cheers,
Steve