Author Topic: New Petzl head torch  (Read 2743 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
New Petzl head torch
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
At the weekend I saw for the first time a miniaturised Petzl Nao head torch that uses Petzl’s clever reactive lighting technology.

The original Nao was expensive and teams that have used them have praised their ability to automatically adjust light output so that the reflected light levels remain constant, making it much easier to use as the users eyes are not having to adapt to sudden changes in light intensity, an example of this is when searching in wooded areas the reflection from tree trunks, such a silver birch, increases reflective light and the users eyes need to readapt. In addition, the battery life is considerably extended.

These new units are called Tikka and start at 70 squid – worth looking at ;)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

sniperkona

• View Profile
Re: New Petzl head torch
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:03 PM »
i just got a led lenser h7, £33 online, it is amazing, much better than the myo rxp. Will keep an eye out on the new tikka.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Good to see you back Sniperkona, presume a TOD in-theatre. Which store did you get it at £33 for?

sniperkona

• View Profile

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:36:21 AM »
Only a couple of years ago we, as in me, were paying over £100 for head torches with this specification.  For a while the benchmark I personally put most credence in, after waterproofed, was range of beam. The power is so much now that beams can reach well over 200m, this particular head torch is 160m which is good, lights that shine further than 200m are so bright the near area they reflect interferes with your night vision.

Today I think more important features are an adjustable beam strength and compatible replaceable batteries, this is the only dislike I have of the LED Lenser as it uses AAA batteries (I use AA batts in all kit)

Good to see you Rick:)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:41:40 AM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

sniperkona

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
good to be back. the led lenser has a dimmer on the back, and people have done some simple mods with aa and also c and d cell.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
That decides it for me (AA batteries can be used), great value for a serious piece of kit.
Sniperkona do you know how you make the mods?

sniperkona

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
it was done with the battery compartment from a petzl zoom. think it was just a simple switch over.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »
Thx Sniperkona :)

Batesy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:52:26 AM »
Hi,
Just for clarity, whilst the Led Lenser H7 uses AAA's, the H14 model does use AA batteries (one of the reasons I opted for this model was based on Lyle's sensible suggestion to use devices that use compatible batteries!). It's got plenty of settings (including full/dim/SOS/defence with 3 modes for power management) and is also zoomable. Another key feature for me is that the lamp unit removes from the headband and will clip onto a belt/pocket or fasten to bike handlebars (bracket included in box). Expensive but very good (but watch out for fakes apparently  >:().
S.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Thanks Batsey, really sound advice  :)