Author Topic: Greeting from New South Wales.  (Read 1140 times)

MoonMan

• View Profile
Greeting from New South Wales.
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »
Greetings, fellow way-finders: my special interests have been Naked Eye Astronomy & asking myself, How would this have been tackled in the Paleolithic? I do go camping & walking, have seen Glaciers, Volcanoes, Coral Reefs, Rain forest & Savannah. I have learnt several things, which I shall share with you here.  PS I even learnt things from Lyle's book. There is no end to learning.
Keeping Track of where Here is in relation to There.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Greeting from New South Wales.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
Welcome MoonMan, your postings already have really added something new for me to learn :)

Don't know NSW, but have visited family on quite a few occasions in Perth, SW Australia. The thing that we Brits always find difficult to comprehend is the sheer vastness of your country and just how much of it remains true wilderness. Look forward to your further celestial postings, something again we Brits tend to find difficult to comprehend, but maybe this is more because we don't see the sun very often ;)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
Greetings Moon Man to a very informative and friendly forum.

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »
Welcome Moon Man :) From, as Cal quite rightly states, the very wet Lake District of England where today we have up to 75mm of precipitation forecast with 50km gales! This is the most informative and friendly forum, on navigation, on the web.

MoonMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:57:10 AM »
Thank You: it has been snowing on the Alps since May, when that Canadian got himself lost, presumed dead. All within a few square kilometres, with marked trails.  Since then, another fellow fell of a cliff while talking on his phone & walking in the dark. The inattentive mind is met by sudden death. Others are mysteriously lost for days on end, for no apparent reason than that they be stupid. I hope to discover why it is that these things happen, so that they might no longer. Having been turned around for about an hour when I was 14, I learnt not to do that again.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
A very warm welcome to you Moon Man, I too have also already learned a great deal from our email correspondence and postings on this forum,  I think that you should be nominated for Quote of the Week:

"Others are mysteriously lost for days on end, for no apparent reason than that they be stupid." ;)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »
Good day mate. How is NSW these days. I lived in Queensland as a teenager. I found my interest in celestial navigation and survival back in them days. Beautiful country you have.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

MoonMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »
Lyle: it is only a fair comment... as David Attenborough recently remarked, & I paraphrase him: Too many morons survive childhood, so we Humans have stopped evolving. Perhaps KFC & Coca-Cola have something to do with it, too.

adi: Having the Spring Rains, just now.The blossoms have dropped & the leaf is on its way.[ stone fruit & grapes]  15 C max, instead of the 20 C of last week. Plenty of fresh grass for the sheep, cattle, horses, & alpaca in the district. Floriade is on at Canberra, school term break is soon.{with replica of Gokstad ship on the water at the Maritime Museum in Sydney}

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
I totally concur with you and Mr Attenborough Moon Man, having sadly recovered some of these types of people from the mountians :(
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato